• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil cooler fun on M1009

kallisti5

So, after putting up with a oil cooler lines (slowly) leaking over the last year, I decided to try and tackle swapping them out.
I had a new set of lines from rockauto, I went cheap (my mistake) and got the off-brand SUNSONG ones.

The old lines were "good-n-tite" on the fittings attached to the oil filter. After some big pipe-wrenching, PB blaster, and some heating and beating, I got the old (now destroyed lines) off the fittings.

Now the fun part.. the rock auto ones didn't fit. The length / routing is fine... but the male threaded end which attaches to the oil cooler lines at the front doesn't fit over the aluminum line. The line is too thick to fit into the fitting. (they don't seem misshapen or anything, the font ones came off easily).

I'm past the return date, and the lines only included one o-ring. I have an o-ring kit and some "close enough" rings... but at this point i'm taking a step back to take inventory.

1) Hacked together o-rings.
2) Chewed up fittings. (I think they'll work, but they've been to war)
3) Cheap oil lines that don't fit.

I'm half pondering trying the 8AN oil cooler line swap. A few $4 8AN to 3/8NPT fittings, some 8AN barb fittings, and some oil-friendly 1/2" 8AN hose... thoughts?

cucvrus

DSCF6058.jpgDSCF6057.jpgDSCF6055.jpgI bought several sets in the past few years. I sourced good ones from NAPA. I made things a lot easier and removed the left inner fender. I was able to get the lines in the bracket at the left rear of the engine and reassemble the truck with excellent results. Same truck I changed the valve cover gaskets on. Good Luck. Take your time and Be Safe.

russojap

View attachment 780594View attachment 780593View attachment 780592I bought several sets in the past few years. I sourced good ones from NAPA. I made things a lot easier and removed the left inner fender. I was able to get the lines in the bracket at the left rear of the engine and reassemble the truck with excellent results. Same truck I changed the valve cover gaskets on. Good Luck. Take your time and Be Safe.
Thanks for the part numbers! I'm going to replace these lines before I put my 1009 back on the road. I was reading somewhere that several people have blown their engine caused by a blowout of the cooler lines. Apparently it pumps the oil out so fast there is no warning.

cucvrus

Tis true. But a little due vigilance and it will never happen that fast. When they start seeping is the time to replace them. If you wait for catastrophic failure I guess that's the way it goes. I had a plow truck rub the aluminum line thru when the manifold clamp that held them in place rusted and rubbed thru at the brake reinforcement on the firewall. It leaked badly 1 one case and the other case the driver just kept driving knowing it was leaking oil. A case of it is not my truck syndrome. The engine seized. Good Luck. I think it is worth the time to remove the inner fender. That's up to you. Have a Great Day. Be Safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks