• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil pan

RealtorB

I replaced the crankshaft and bearings and noticed that when I pulled the oil pan there was no gasket just sealant,I have everything back together and running, I listened to someone and they said to put a gasket on the oil pan ,
Now after 40 miles it's leaking , I was looking for some advice it's got the 6.2 diesel, some are saying gasket with gray sealant,, some say no gasket sealant only, thanks in advance

it is a 1987 M998 HMMWV

Last edited:

Videris

I replaced the crankshaft and bearings and noticed that when I pulled the oil pan there was no gasket just sealant,I have everything back together and running, I listened to someone and they said to put a gasket on the oil pan ,
Now after 40 miles it's leaking , I was looking for some advice it's got the 6.2 diesel, some are saying gasket with gray sealant,, some say no gasket sealant only, thanks in advance

it is a 1987 M998 HMMWV
http://www.dieselplace.com/forum/63...6-2l-diesel-engine/236923-oil-pan-gasket.html

Stonepicker1

Were is the leak at? up front or back ? What type of RTV did you use...Red ?

I use the Black RTV and let it set overnight with good luck. The Grey RTV is good also, I just had better luck with the Black RTV.

I only use the rear rubber gasket on the oil pan with the Black RTV.

infidel got me

As a retired tech-- I have always yellow glued a cork gasket or any gasket for that matter. If you have a gasket-- no silicone. Always the exception on ends of oil pans, manifolds, waterpumps,etc... Had good luck this way for 30 plus years.

beckel

I just did the oil pan last week and did not use a gasket. Cleaned the engine block sealing surface and oil pan lip very carefully with acetone and used the rubber lip seal on the back with Permatex Right Stuff around the full perimeter of the oil pan. So far so good with no leaks. It is very important that you dont over torque the bolts.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've done no less then 50 rear main seals and Never once used a gasket...the factory doesn't, so neither do I.
I always use a new oil pan, clean the **** out of all surfaces, black RTV and "always" let it sit for 24hrs prior to oil and running again. I also always replace the rear pan seal and make sure that is clean, dry and use a lot of RTV, that area is the worst area for leaks, that and the front where it slopes up.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Same here..., although not 50, but maybe a dozen, yes at least... with best results!

And BTW, the very same technique applies to the valve covers. I never used any of these cork gaskets that come with the gasket sets. RTV only, (this one)...

I wish I knew exactly what brand of black silicone they use on these engines! Man, that stuff is though! Really takes every trick and effort to remove these covers without serious distortion...!