• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Oil Pressure on startup

Boatcarpenter

On startup, how long does it take for your oil pressure to jump to operating range and do you get any hint of rod knock before it does? Also, what is a good range for these rigs to operate in between 500 and 1000 eng hours? I'm a little nervous about mine. A little slow getting to operating range I think. :(

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The oil filters drain when the engine is shut down and it takes 10 seconds or so to get the pressure back up when started.

Bjorn
MVPA19212

mangus580

I notice with mine, that when the oil pressure comes up to normal range, the turbo starts its whistle.... doesnt until then...

bomar76

mangus580 said:
I notice with mine, that when the oil pressure comes up to normal range, the turbo starts its whistle.... doesnt until then...
Same here...I thought we were alone in that experience.

Wyattearp

well just a thought and being a owner of a more modern turbo diesel engine, namely the cummins, there are turbo primers out there that can get oil to the turbo beariing before startup... I know alot of guys over on the TDR site have either a primer setup or a turbo cooldown device..... Just some food for thought, i know with my cummins the oil filter stays full and there is only about 2 seconds if that before oil pressure comes up, its probably almost instintanious actually.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My turbo whistles at strart up, then you can hear it slow down when the oil pressure builds. You can hear the compresser when its running, ticking noise. I run 55 psi hot at anything above idle, 35 at idle.
Dennis

Last edited:
I have a M35A2 with a 1D (non-whistler) and a M185A3 with a 1C (whistler). Both engines take 10 to 20 seconds to build oil pressue, depending on temperature. Keep in mind that the manuals all say to keep revs below 1k RPM for 5 minutes to ensure that the turbo is not damaged by lack of lube. The whistler dosen't whistle much ideling below 1K RPM.

ajg6989

I need to replace my gauge it is readding all over the place went out to the deuce one morning and it was full of dew so the seal must be gone I think it is sticking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks