• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ok guys. Need help

baja_power

This weekend i got my front hub fixed (sorry, no photos, its was cold and i just wanted it done) so that went great. Hopped in it for the test drive, runs and drives fine, just one problem. Went to step of brakes. Pedal went right to the floor. :shock: I will have a 2 week lead to order parts before i can actually tear into it big time. I can check things between now and then and have thing ordered. So between now and then i would like to diagnose the problem. What do you experts think? Master cylinder? A wheel cylinder? Something else?

I have had the same problem with one of mine. I have been told by one of the real experts to add brake fluid to the master cylinder. They have a tendancy to lose fluid unnoticed, unless you have a major failure and blow the fluid out all at once. If the brakes have been pumped with low fluid he advises to add fluid, wait a few hours and add more, if necessary. He said that bleeding should not be necessary.

I certainly would try that before tearing apart any of the brake system.

You must make certain that you add the correct brake fluid; your truck probably has silicone fluid (Dot 5). Don't mix the silicone fluid with Dot 3 or you will have a mess to clean up.

baja_power

Yes, brakes were re- adjusted, and i had a thought. When the Hub and bearings went, they got hot, very hot. Could it be possible that some of the brake fluid boiled out, leaving air pockets? So a quick bleed job might fix it?

rizzo

jld66 said:
I have had the same problem with one of mine. I have been told by one of the real experts to add brake fluid to the master cylinder. They have a tendancy to lose fluid unnoticed, unless you have a major failure and blow the fluid out all at once. If the brakes have been pumped with low fluid he advises to add fluid, wait a few hours and add more, if necessary. He said that bleeding should not be necessary.

I certainly would try that before tearing apart any of the brake system.

You must make certain that you add the correct brake fluid; your truck probably has silicone fluid (Dot 5). Don't mix the silicone fluid with Dot 3 or you will have a mess to clean up.
what happens when you mix fluids?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
When mixing fluids it will initially work. Over time the stuff will start to turn gooey and generally just get funky. Either fluid will work fine but for long term, make sure a thorough flush job is completed. Baja, I would certainly start with a fluid level check then a good bleeding. It never hurts to have a wheel cylinder or kit sitting around on the shelf for times like this. Have a good looksee at all 5 of your rubber hoses and all the steel brake lines too.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks