• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old engine

phil2968

Here's one for ya. A fellow gave me this 1/2 horsepower Lauson Built engine that powered a 12/500 volt genset for radio transmitters inthe Navy. All I have is the engine and the frame. I had to insulate the coil primary wire and did a basic cleaning of cosmoline but it started right up even after sitting for 50 years?. I am familer with the Lauson Engine Co. history but this is the first one of this type I've ever seen around. I have the manual, one corner eaten by somthing that was hungry but still readable. You should hear it purr!

Attachments

Coal Cracker

Wow, now I can see where the Tecumseh came from, Such similarities. I worked on small engines for a while. It's a wonder the carb wasn't sheelac'ed up. nice motor

phil2968

The military mothballed so to speak there was a cork in the exhaust, fuel tank clean and dry. I had to remake one carb gasket due to shrinkage but other than that and the coil primary wires everything works. Trying to figure out what to do with a 1/2 horsepower.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks