• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

OLD military generators

Mcbob

Anyone know if Mercury Disston built gensets for the military in the 40s and 50s? I know a guy who's got an engine painted army green, whats left of the paint anyhow. PLus I have to ask about Homelite too, I've heard they built generators for the army during ww2, two cycle engines and gensets, from what I'm told. can anyone confirm this for me?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Homelites for sure. Signal corps used the little guys but not sure about the other engine you mentioned.

Mcbob

Thanks recovry 4x4. Disston was a rather large company in their day, the Henry disston company which was the original name produced MANY differnt models of chainsaws, one of which was a DA 211, which had 2 cylinders, and was reliable as gravity.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hmm. a big ole 2 cylinder chain saw! Bet that sucker was heavier than a sack of anvils!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Any luck on your search for a deuce? The guy in Ft Lauderdale has one for $4500. It has the bed enclosed with wood and sheetmetal (military modification) and has been singled out (also my the military). It's got 7 brand new 1100r20 Michelin XLs on it too. Doesn't have a winch but he's got another winch at his place in Live Oak he would probably sell you. If Interested contact Matt at M-Trucking (954)523-1913. Tell him Kenny sent ya!

fordlotus

I'm looking for information and any help I can get on finding or learning about a military engine used to power generators and i think hydraulic units and possibly some aircraft starting or support units. It was made by Teledyne/Continental. 6 cylinder, air cooled, 470 cubic inches. They are called a ground power unit or I think the military designation was pe-150, for 150 horse power. We use them on airboats down here in Florida and they are really great reliable engines for this use. I just broke my crank in two a few weeks ago and am looking to replace the engine. Any help would be greatly appriciated. Thanks guys for all the helpful information!

Jeff

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks