• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Old wvo

Scott88M

I recently picked up a blue plastic 55 gallon drum of wvo that's been air tight but has sat for 2 years. It's clear and golden.

When I first opened the drum I noticed a paint thinner type smell (the guy mentioned he had dumped in some fuel stabilizers so don't know if that caused the smell) now that it's aired out some it smells just like B99 to me.

My question is do you think this stuff is bad and shouldn't be run at all?

(I understand my truck isn't a "multifuel" but all diesels can run on various oil fuels)

Should I run this? I only plan on dumping it in in weak blends like 90% pump diesel 10% wvo and only this barrel I usually blend minuscule amounts of wmo a gallon here and there.

Thanks for any and all info.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not use it at all.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Because it is acidic.

Just a bit of WVO will break everything loose in your fuel system.

1 quart will clean and clog your filter like you won't believe.

Unless you have run it regularly, forget it.

Scott88M

I ran B99 a lot in the summer (I can get it from a reputable regulated station cheap NOT homemade) is bio less acidic than wvo? (That's an honest question, I'm not afraid to run small mixes of alt fuels but I'm no expert)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have no experience with purchased bio.

I have tried wvo a couple times and always ended up with issues afterward.

skinnyR1

Are we talkin biodiesel or waste vegy oil here? Two totally different animals.
OP, since you said it is clear and golden, I assume you mean biodiesel. Id personally run it is actually production astm bio, just not the bottom of the barrel where stuff settles out to.

Westech

CPL
It will wash the tank and everything out. Add a gallon and have a few filters ready. Run that tank and then after that I would keep it mixed 50%. It will for sure keep things clean.

Scott88M

Thanks I appreciate the info, I'll look further into the bio I run in the summer. I had no issues with clogging filters but if refining wvo removes the acidic properties then I'm liable to clog now. If not then I SHOULD be already cleaned out. If I do run some I'll wait until I'm prepared with new filters on hand in case of emergency and I'll report back my findings.

Scott88M

Sorry I was typing my last response and didn't see your question. It is wvo that someone had previously filtered but they sold their diesel and I picked up their last barrel. The drum was air and water tight but had sat for 2 years.

Beyond Biodiesel

Because it is acidic.

Just a bit of WVO will break everything loose in your fuel system.

1 quart will clean and clog your filter like you won't believe.

Unless you have run it regularly, forget it.
WVO does not seem to deteriorate as a fuel source. My first batch of WVO sat in the desert for 2 years before I blended it with gasoline at 20%, then filtered it down to 1-micron. It ran fine.

But, if you are going to use new or old oils for fuel, then you need to filter it down pretty good, and run it in warm weather, not cold weather, unless you are experienced at it.

Scott88M

Thank you all for your replies. After further looking I think the wvo I have is still good but like you said it's too cold to run it right now so I'll check it again in the late spring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks