• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

olive drab gloss

1956_4x4

I'm thinking about going this direction with my 1031. It's currently painted CARC Desert Sand and absorbs every greasy fingerprint that gets close to it. It does not clean up at all... I'm a mechanic by trade and it does no good for me to show up at a station without a professional looking vehicle. A gloss vehicle can actually be cleaned.

Smitty

beaubeau

Back in the 70's at MCB Quantico. I remember a MV that was painted with a color code from Chrysler Corp, and it was as close to Marine Corps Green as anything else I have seen. If U want gloss, go to a Paint Dept at a local Parts store . U can even have Metalic added to paint for looks!

Elwenil

Beware, the formula for a gloss paint is not the same as a flat paint. If you use the same formula in gloss enamel, the color will be much lighter due to the gloss. Think back a few weeks to the CUCV that was painted at a shop twice because it didn't look right and the owner finally painted it himself because the gloss paint looked pea green.

1956_4x4

Elwenil said:
Beware, the formula for a gloss paint is not the same as a flat paint. If you use the same formula in gloss enamel, the color will be much lighter due to the gloss. Think back a few weeks to the CUCV that was painted at a shop twice because it didn't look right and the owner finally painted it himself because the gloss paint looked pea green.
I know we painted some with a gloss poly when I was in the military. The poly seemed to hold up well. I'd stop by and ask what the paint code was, but the last time I stopped in to vehicle ops the SSgt didn't even know what I was talking about when I mentioned a CUCV...

Smitty

emr

ask Al Haague the paint guy in NJ, He is in the MV mag...there is a full gloss that saw service in many units usually MP or HQ units ,He has got it, and I have seen it and it sure is perdy...There was a unit in Texes I have the guys name somewhere , He now runs a museum down there, very nice guy, well He was in this unit and they had a couple of Mutts and a couple of deuces painted up in full gloss black for those special dignitary pic ups, He said they looked REAL good all marked up and lettered ... and im sure they did,

Uglyranger

In Memorial
In Memorial
Take a sample of the color you want to an automotive paint store. I use Car Color, A PPG dealer, in Columbus, Georgia. They can mix the color and then add as much "flattener" as you want. You might hear the term "semi-gloss" or "semi-flat". Both are similar.

Armada

I agree with BillW. I've used Gillespie 24087 semi luster paint on a couple of restorations with great results. With hardener added, the paint will not 'mark up' as easily. The hardener will also give the paint a bit more sheen, but not enough to make it shiney. It cleans up nice and you can wax it too, but that will add a little more shine to the finish.

Attachments

comdiver

My local professional paint store has a FS series paint chip book. We looked up the FS number and then matched it to an industrial paint that could be tinted. A semi gloss may be a good compromise between clean ability and the military look.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks