• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Olive Drab paint removal

oldsport

What is the recommended method to remove the original Harley Davidson factory applied olive drab paint form the cast aluminum engine cases of a 1942 WLA 45, with out harming the aluminum nor the various pressed in bearings and bushings? Do you know if this paint was lead based enamel or lacquer or maybe a water based paint? It was does not seem to be a durable paint, in some areas I can remove it with a finger nail. I do not plan to repaint these cases as they are being used in a civilian model WLD 45. I have not been able to locate the correct 1940 WLD 45" engine cases. This original lower engine unit was replaced long before I obtained this bike. Back when military surplus was available and cheaper than dirt. :mad:

I have heard several suggestion for doing this...all conflicting.:roll:
Thank you for your time and efforts.

Oldsport

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
As NDT said, it's a lead enamel.

It doesn't stick to the aluminum not because it's a bad paint, but probably because the surface was not prepped properly and the correct aluminum specific primer wasn't used. Aluminum requires a specific (zinc based I think) primer in order for it to adhere.

If the case is completely disassembled, I would just throw it in the cabinet.

If you aren't fully disassembling it, I'd blast it with dry-ice* or use a chemical stripper.

* like this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dry-ice_blasting

Whiterabbit

Chemical stripper then a pressure wash.
I use "aircraft" stripper from the parts store, takes it right off. It'll even remove the silver paint honda uses on their engine cases!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks