• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

On Board WMO filtering plans. Ideas / Suggestions?

JHS

Hi SS,

My name is Joe, I have a 1970 M35a2 W/W. I love the thing, I use it around the farm quite frequently, as well as DD it back and forth to my shop.

I really enjoy driving it, however, as many here have discussed, buy diesel stinks.

The deuce has become the most effective form of advertisement for my Welding/Fab/4x4 shop, but more relevantly, a conversation started about the MULTIFUEL! :)

That being said I have many many many friends/clients/relatives ETC ETC that have been (almost) literally THROWING their WMO at me. :D

Ive started drawing up plans to build a On Board Waste Motor Oil Filtration setup.

The drawing is something I've been piecing together after reading many forum posts on the pros and cons of

1) filtering setups vs centrifuge in general (effectiveness and $$$$ long term)

2) On board filtration vs in house filtration

I came to this schematic using my practical and simple ideas for what I wanted in a hungry WMO eating Multifuel

1) The ability to literally pour containers of WMO into a tank on the truck itself.

This would be useful for the quickest and easiest way to fuel up on the road / in a bug out scenario. (more so just the first, I hope)

2) I wanted something that would actually be affordable, or else I would just buy diesel instead of fool myself and my wallet

3) I wanted something that wouldn't add excessive strain on the factory FUEL filters

4) Something that would make it so easy to run WMO that I wouldnt have to think too much, or waste too much time doing it.

Heres my plan, let me know what you all think please! Im new to this whole thing but very excited.

Note: I did not add provisions for a heater, Haven't really considered running WMO in the cold up here, or the truck itself for that matter.

Deuce fuel WMO.jpg

Attachments

Last edited:

Jeepsinker

In house is the only really effective way to get this done. The WMO needs time to settle no matter what, and I still have yet to find a solvent or combination of solvents that will make carbon drop free from oil quickly. The carbon and dissolved solids are your enemy here. They are what destroy injectors and pumps. And for what it's worth, the factory filters are very inefficient and somewhat ineffective.

JHS

I was worried about that, the more I hunted around the more I seemed to just drive my truck to the station, and spend my time and money on other projects. I think I may just stick to diesel for now. Would you recommend changing all my filters to the JATONKA spin on's? Ive already done the oil filters. and changed my fuel canisters. But Id really feel better adding more protection to the IP and Injectors.

Jeepsinker

Yes you would do well to upgrade to the spin on filters. Most spin on filters filter down to smaller micron levels and catch more all together. You can run the WMO if you just let it settle after adding solvent (gasoline or kerosene) and then filtering it well before putting it in the fuel tank. Do you plan on doing any trips far from home in it?

andy3

Lots of great threads and knowledge about this. There is a WMO sticky that covers most all of this. I would advise since you want to drive it to work setup a filter plant there or at home. A full tank will get you a long ways. You can preprocess and if you have a long trip but I just did a 600 mile round trip and found that running pump #2 to be very convenient on trip back. Went from 2 to 5 seconds to catch and start back to sub 1 second starting.

Beyond Biodiesel

I have a mobile fuel making system on the back of my Chevy van with a 6.2L n/a. See photo. I plan to install a larger version of this system onto the rear of my m756a2. The only real difference will be larger tanks for processing and storage. I do not plan to change my filtration system; but I do plan to add a centrifuge, because WMO is full of sub-micron carbon and ash, as pointed out above by jeepsinker. Settling is always good, but a centrifuge can reduce the settling time from months to 24 hours. The filter manifold is available here: http://www.stirlingengine.com/product/my-oil-well-diesel-fuel-maker/
DIY filter manifold.2109.2.jpg

Last edited:

JHS

Thanks very much for the input guys. Gonna keep reading up on this. I love the idea. My sources for WMO are only going to grow, and the more I've read, the more a centrifuge seems to be the best cost effective way and only sure way to clean.

Thanks again!

Jeepsinker

Just some food for thought here: In almost every single case, used cooking/ vegetable/ peanut oil is a much better source of fuel simply for the fact that it is cleaner from where we start with it. It will never have dissolved metals in it like WMO does. Think of it this way, what is more abrasive, metal particles or fried chicken bits? If you can secure some sources of used cooking oil or similar oil I would do that and not even fool with WMO to begin with. Eventually you WILL end up replacing injectors or the pump UNLESS you can find spin on filters that will filter down to at least three microns. Ask member Wellldigger about fine micron filter options, he has been looking into it a lot lately.
Oh, it does not have the carbon content to have to deal with either.

Last edited:

JHS

Interesting point. There are many high end restaurants in town that Id feel comfortable asking management about their WVO. good food for thought. That and beyond Biodiesel's link have my head spinning, haha.

Thanks

Jeepsinker

Just don't be too hesitant to offer to pay something for the used oil if they hem haw around about it. You may find that most of these places actually get paid by the collection companies now. At least that is the case here. But hey, even at $1.00 a gallon it would be around a 75% savings over buying pump fuel.

Karl kostman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
JHS as you read the volumes of info from the past threads on THIS subject, dont skip over the one where one of our members was running WMO/WTF in his Deuce and got pulled over for something small, well somewhere along the way the State Trooper dipped his tank and found what was in it AND there was NO tax paid on it, well our member was fined around 2K for this SMALL INDISCRETION! MMmm, let me think 2K could certainly buy a whole lot of legal on road diesel fuel. Be aware is all I am sayting to you
KK

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks