• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ongoing starter problem M882

jmartin

I am having chronic starter problems with my 1977 M882 318. I have had this truck for five or six years and have been chasing a chronic starter problem the whole way. Years ago the starter was winding up and firing off but it didnt seem to be engaging the flywheel. It just gives you that loud whirring sound. I bought an aftermarket rebuilt starter and very soon it was doing the same thing. I got fed up with it and took the rebuilt starter and had it rebuilt at a small local family owned business. The starter tested out before this rebuild and, on the bench, did exactly as it should have. The mechanic suggested we install a stronger, more powerful drive in the starter. That was done. Eventually the starter was doing the same thing. It will always start, it just depends on how many times you want to turn the key. Each time I have removed the starter(several) I have looked at what I could see of the flywheel. It looks fine. Are these starters notorious for needing shims or some kind of adjustment? It is just a nagging problem. Thanks in advance.

Jim

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks