• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

optional tranny for M915 series?

R Racing

Love the cat 7155 . I did find something out that isn't posted on the board that I could find. I have only seen this in 16th gear. but if you go down a small to medium grade and exceed 2475 rpm the trans will unlock the converter to keep from over reving the engine , you will notice if there is a hill right after the rpm will be up and your speed will drop. if you let off the throttle and back on it will lock back up. Thought I had a tras problem at first but found out it was a safety feature.

R Racing

The m915 and m920 as you know share the same cab. I know Soni put 1 in his at 1 point. except for the clutch linkage I would think it would be fairly easy.

Alredneck

Banned
R Racing I believe PM magazine published a article about using the trans to control the truck speed on down grades. It might be in the -10 I cant remember.

915-920 use freightliner cabs, so to convert to a stick shift you can resource all your parts fro 70-80s Frieghtliners!

there are 5+2 spds, 5+4spd, 9spd, 10spds, 13spd, 18spds, and im sure alot more options out there!

eldgenb

Love the cat 7155 . I did find something out that isn't posted on the board that I could find. I have only seen this in 16th gear. but if you go down a small to medium grade and exceed 2475 rpm the trans will unlock the converter to keep from over reving the engine , you will notice if there is a hill right after the rpm will be up and your speed will drop. if you let off the throttle and back on it will lock back up. Thought I had a tras problem at first but found out it was a safety feature.
yep, mine does the same exact thing, or if I am too aggressive on my down shifting it will unlock if the rpm's get too high.

Nonotagain

thats what it was, I knew it was not the same as the fmtv, Soni priced them out and they were like 20k new for just the tranny no electronics or shifters.
Not to start an argument, but Justin PM'd me back when he first got his truck about the transmission.

He posted up here http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/60826-pushbutton-allison-m916.html#post715409 that the transmission was a MD3070PT.

I still need another $1K to get the shifter for my project, which is going to have to wait till I make my move to Virginia.

Carry on folks.

466Navastar

I thought that Soni posted a while back that his 7 speed was a HD4070...maybe the trucks have both versions

I kind of remember Soni saying the tranny was around $40k new

where are these trucks coming from with the double overdrive trannys?....havent seen them on GL

466Navastar

does anyone know for sure WHAT manufacturer supplied the cabs for the 916/920 trucks before the newer Freightliners?...Ive heard both international and freightliner mentioned

466Navastar

CCC is who assembled the trucks - if you look at the late 70s - eary 80s freightliner and internationals - there are styling cues that push one ...one way or the other to guess who the govt contracted with......

ANYONE who ones these trucks - any thing to contribute?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm of the opinion the 915/916/920 cabs are CCC's own design. The International Paystar cabs (also used on other models) are really close, but the doors have rounded edges and the wipers are on the top, both of which require different stampings.

Attachments

Hooty481

Anyone took the plunge and installed the straight shift in the m915-m920.

I want to run highway speeds and. I can do that with my. Bigger tires but when I hook to a van trailer they are over height.I know I can get permits but would rather swap a trans and go back to my 11.00s

TEAM LEAD

M915, M916, M917, M918, M919, M920 are an AM GENERAL product and cabs are made by AMG.
M915A1 is a CCC manufactured cab for AMG.
M915A2, M915A3, M915A4, M915A4R1, M915A4R2, M916A1, M916A1E1, M916A2, M916A3, M917A1, M917E1, M917A2, and M917E2 are all Freightliner Cabs.
M915A5 is a Western Star badged as A Freightliner.

74M35A2

Anyone put a manual in a M915? I've got a lead on one missing a transmission that I am thinking of getting and putting a 13speed in.

I think with the SAE bellhousing it would just be a simple parts scrounging exercise, right?
SAE patterns are same, but we are finding different depths for various auto transmissions used, for torque converter or front coupling clearance. Wes Simpson just converted his 923 to a 7155 trans, and said it required a flywheel housing unique to it. I am doing a 13 speed conversion in my 925a2, and found that the stock MT654CR flywheel housing is about 1" deeper than required for a traditional 13 speed clutch setup. Just something extra to note regarding flywheel housing depth. Mounts can change also when changing.

TEAM LEAD

The M915A4 uses the M915 basic and M915A1 Cummins Big Cam I and III engines and an Allison W/TEC 3 4560 or Allison Gen IV 4500 Transmission. we did not change the bell housing. This doesn't answer the Manual transmission install but for anyone wanting to get away from the Cat 7155 transmission this is a option.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
The M915A4 uses the M915 basic and M915A1 Cummins Big Cam I and III engines and an Allison W/TEC 3 4560 or Allison Gen IV 4500 Transmission. we did not change the bell housing. This doesn't answer the Manual transmission install but for anyone wanting to get away from the Cat 7155 transmission this is a option.
The BC1/3 bellhousing for the Allison is different than the one that mates to the CAT 7155. In my opinion the CAT is alot nicer than the Allisons

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

pevrs114

The BC1/3 bellhousing for the Allison is different than the one that mates to the CAT 7155. In my opinion the CAT is alot nicer than the Allisons

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk
I'm pretty sure I watched your video the other night of headed up 81 before Blacksburg.

Any idea if the back of the BC in an M915A4 is different, or requires any special adapters to bolt on a manual transmission flywheel?

I do not have one of these trucks yet, but I am considering buying one and would want to put in something along the lines of an RTLO18718B.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I'm pretty sure I watched your video the other night of headed up 81 before Blacksburg.

Any idea if the back of the BC in an M915A4 is different, or requires any special adapters to bolt on a manual transmission flywheel?

I do not have one of these trucks yet, but I am considering buying one and would want to put in something along the lines of an RTLO18718B.
Why ? It has an overdrive 6 speed 4500 series. It just needs to be unlocked.

It probably would need to be swapped since it is an automatic housing. They are generally different in depth and configuration.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks