• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Out and about in M818.

beaubeau

:driver: I worked on my recent 818 I recovered on Wends. It would not GO and it would not Stop!!. It took about 45 minutes for me to realize there was no fuel to IP. Took fuel filter off, no fuel. Filled fuel filter up with fuel. Disconnected fuel line at IP and poured fuel into hose. Fuel started leaking at Fuel tank switch. Found cracked line and bypassed the switch direct to L fuel tank. Added more fuel to unhooked hose at IP until I could hear it running into fuel tank. Replaced hose to IP . shot Starter fluid into air cleaner, BANG!!! Started right up. Ran rough for several minutes, but now run s Great!! I also repaired the brakes and now it stops well! It was just out of brake fluid and after a complete bleedind it STOPS!!! I do have to replace E-brake cable.
Idrove M52s in Nam, but I thought this tractor was a little bigger. I checked the specks on both M52s, and M818. Now I know I was not exagerating!! The truck rides well and is NICE-N-TITE!!! But, I really don't know why anyone would want a M818 for a Daily driver!?? A deuce is more economical and practical. Pluss I can run more Crap fuel in the Deuce.
Any way, my last purchase is a Success. Phil

beaubeau

RE: Ok for pics??

As the pics show, I went SO fast that my Top cover ripped apart on the Deuce! At least it covered the auxiliary fuel tank in bed of Deuce. Notice No auxiliary brake set up, or light cord. I got these Battery operated Flashers at a Truck stop in N.Y. and they Stick to back of frame, Magnetic. They worked well for 22hours, and still working!!It was a long trip, with little problems. Phil

Alredneck

Banned

Yea BeauBeau show em what lil deuce can do!!!! :grd: But man, that rigging, slinging, chaining concoction, emmm not to sure about hehe!!! But you made it back without killing to many pedistrians ( extra points ) so good recovery! Now to get the murphy out of your new rig and you'll be set. A lil time and some wrench n is all it needs, Good luck man, Captain

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor

That is the worst looking towbar I have ever seen! rofl

But your truck looks good, glad you made it home :beer:

ygmir

you are my hero........nice improv.......
Thinking outside the box and getting it done......hooray for you!!!
Some guys think if it ain't purty, clean, and came out of a box, it's no good.........at times, I dis-agree. Sometimes, you use what ya got, pays your money, and, takes your chances.

good on ya.

Henry

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My two most vivid memories of my Father teaching me how to make a bowline knot and field expedience.

Sure looks like that tow bar was right out of the field expedience book.

Looks aren't everything otherwise my wife wouldn't have married ME.

Good job and nice looking truck.

steve

beaubeau

Hey guys, remember that the Original towbar was damaged when I made a turn Too Sharp in the parking lot. Had I not tried to Jump start the 818 at that time, all would have been OK,!!!???? This was a field repair job without the proper tools. No cutting torches, no grinder, no Nuts or bolts, used scrap found in the area, not even a tape measure! Also time was limited, as anyone who has recovered any vehicles from GL. would know. I did have a portable welder and any cutting that was done had to be done with the welder. Also notice the differance in height between the 2 vehicles. Lets add to that that I had just driven 500 miles in a Deuce, I am 59 years old, Disabled Vet, Degenerative Disc, artificial hip joint, PTSD, {HALF A BRAIN} One arm and one leg!!??? and it was also raining. Believe what U want!??
Hey Clinto, I should have painted it Green, it would have made it alright! OR Camo, so it cannot be seen. !!?? vgmir, U R right on that. It did not cost me for a Tow job, or any repairman and all I paid is $25.00 Donation for the material and the use of the mans Lot. I am glad that there are people like that around to help when someone is UP SHIP CREEK!! Yes, I did make a 500 mile trip pulling a 20,000 lb. vehicle with a 13,00lb. vehicle, that is 38 years old, driving alone! I DID WITH WHAT I HAD!!?? I cannot wait for my next Challenge!!! Phil

alphadeltaromeo

go phil, go phil...go go go phil. I love the tow bar...scary as I'll get out, but love it non the less. More than that, though, I'm glad that you made it home safely! In a combat situation, I betcha all the naysayers would be kissin' ya for getting them outa harms way. But then again, this aint a combat situation is it... rofl unless you were driving in ATL traffic :shock: then it's all good *grin*

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks