Overland 5-ton camper with a 20' container

Steel Soldiers is supported by:

Nomadic

Nifty. Imagine coming across that on BLM land. I'm not sure where I will put the 6 Ninjas after it's all setup though.

jcdostie

As I’m still stuck with new Government rules for MV on highways, I worked out some more ideas

I will go with a 40’ High Cube container insulated by the outside with https://www.insofast.com/insulation-panels-for-shipping-containers.html

I’m not sure what kind of siding for outside, probably aluminum. Not decided yet

Here’s a sketch. I’m working on a 3D design made from drone photogrammetry. But I’m having some hard time

JC

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited:

charlesmann

i know it may sound strange, but what a refer box/trailer. it is already insulated, and can get a 20' box tck type, but since you are now talking 40', there are those in trailer form. yes, it limits the inside width by 4.5", but you won't have to worry bout temp changes. i know, well, know through a forestry forum, that use these as kilns for drying wood, and those temps get in to the 120-140 degree temp range and take quite a while to bring down in temp. you wouldn't have the bed over the cab, unless you do some modifying, but not saying it can't be done. iv seen them go for around 3-5k range.

jcdostie

i know it may sound strange, but what a refer box/trailer. it is already insulated, and can get a 20' box tck type, but since you are now talking 40', there are those in trailer form. yes, it limits the inside width by 4.5", but you won't have to worry bout temp changes. i know, well, know through a forestry forum, that use these as kilns for drying wood, and those temps get in to the 120-140 degree temp range and take quite a while to bring down in temp. you wouldn't have the bed over the cab, unless you do some modifying, but not saying it can't be done. iv seen them go for around 3-5k range.
I changed to 40’ container now. I have to do modifications in order to have a king size bed on top of the cab.

Still waiting for Government to change their rules

JC

chucky

Good luck with the build . I spent the last half of 2019 cutting a 20 ft container up to fit on a 1083 and its been a lot of work and 50 pounds of welding rods you should really think about dropping that height down as much as you can. If your not to far along on this build just go barrow /rent a 20 ft container and chain it down on your frame and try to get off the pavement in some really mild offroad conditions you will really see what the problem with the top heavy feeling of the truck it doesnt take but one little left right left on just a slight slope and it feels like its going over. I cut the bottom 1 foot off of the container and got my height down to 12 ft high and keeping all the heavy stuff centered on the center of the frame like water tanks and holding tanks house batteries ect. Then you dovetail the back end and cut your rear doors down to what ever suits you so u dont get hung on steep inclines and build you a seperate trailer garage like a 1082 so you can actually go off road and come home in one piece

jcdostie

Good luck with the build . I spent the last half of 2019 cutting a 20 ft container up to fit on a 1083 and its been a lot of work and 50 pounds of welding rods you should really think about dropping that height down as much as you can. If your not to far along on this build just go barrow /rent a 20 ft container and chain it down on your frame and try to get off the pavement in some really mild offroad conditions you will really see what the problem with the top heavy feeling of the truck it doesnt take but one little left right left on just a slight slope and it feels like its going over. I cut the bottom 1 foot off of the container and got my height down to 12 ft high and keeping all the heavy stuff centered on the center of the frame like water tanks and holding tanks house batteries ect. Then you dovetail the back end and cut your rear doors down to what ever suits you so u dont get hung on steep inclines and build you a seperate trailer garage like a 1082 so you can actually go off road and come home in one piece
Interesting. Tks for the advice. I will have a center of gravity calculated.
Any pictures of your setup ?

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You need to consider a shorter length because you are going to have a lot of frame twisting off road. Also, heavy and high is a problem you can't easily fix after you build it. If you seriously want to build something you can use for off road camping it needs to be short and lite. The truck in your picture above is easily going to top 30K lbs with nothing inside. Once you add the creature comforts and all the stuff you need to take on a trip it will go up fast.

Your build idea will be fine on the road and at campgrounds or flat hard BLM lands. That's about it, you are not going to have a lot of HP to move a heavy vehicle around in poor off road conditions.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks