• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint 24087 - UK/european code

pockersUK

Im in the process of restoring / repainting my M38a1 here in the UK & want to paint it ideally in vietnam colour 24087 or 23070 (wwII -1957)

however these colour codes only seem to be known in the USA & i cant find a UK paint supplier that knows the codes

any one know there equivelant code for UK/european paint codes?

or has any one code a good colour sample of either they could send me (i'll pay shipping) so i can get it matched up over here

many thanks

emr

Its a military code, there will be no paint code from your supplier that have ever heard of, Arvoe is the most correct color for 24087, as per all the big guys, and I also can see it, look em up on web, maybe they have suppliers near U, I would think they do... good luck... Randy

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
pockersUK,

I know what you mean about not being able to find stuff over across the pond. I worked over there and they had american equipment and it was a bear and expensive getting parts. The purveyor was charging them $10/ea for 1/2" 'olives' or what we call ferrules for compression fittings. The guys asked me if I could get some of them, when I came back with a box of 100 for $10, they liked to have had a cow!

Back to what you are asking for: try the following link, it is for RAPCO, they sell Gillespie paint. They should know the mixing codes or can get them for you, or at least lead you in the right direction. Once you get the codes, you can have any type of paint you want tinted to the colour you want.

Cheers!

Rapco Parts Company

Nonotagain

The color numbers referenced are from Federal Standard 595 which is used for US government procurement. The specification can be downloaded from a few locations for free.

The current revision is rev "C" however rev "C" no longer contains color swatches.

I'm attaching rev "B" which is the same as "C" without the new colors that were added to "C".

PPG Aerospace has offices and manufacturing plants in England, so if you make contact with them they can mix to the color you desire.

Attachments

bbftx

Pockers -
You might check and see if the paint stores where you are at are familiar with the NCS color system. It's a very common system throughout Europe, including the UK. But, it is still a color system, not a paint mixing system. The paint shops should be familiar with the colors though and might have a mixing reference.
A close, but not exact match to FS 24087 is NCS S 8005-Y20R
The NCS color is slightly browner than 24087
Good luck

pockersUK

Thanks for all the help guys

just cant believe how difficult it is to get the "right" shade of paint

I think ive found somewhere that does the aervoe rattle cans so might just have to use them or get one & get it matched using local company

will also try to get a sample of the NCS & see how that comes out

:grin:

alfa59

Thanks for all the help guys

just cant believe how difficult it is to get the "right" shade of paint

I think ive found somewhere that does the aervoe rattle cans so might just have to use them or get one & get it matched using local company

will also try to get a sample of the NCS & see how that comes out

:grin:[Hi from Belgium.
As I just bought an M38A1 which has been restored to the Vietnam area, the person I bought the M38A1 from has used RAL 6022 "silk gloss"paint code. It is quite close to FS 24087 which I have on my M54A2.
Hope this helps
Chris ]

jimm1009

To each his own but I used Aerovoe a couple of different times and thier
Earth Brown fades and turns pink in about two years of exposure to the hot Louisianan USA sun.
The CARC green also faded very very badly.

Chris did not have too much trouble finding the correct colors but the problem with shipping is very hard to believe.
International HAZ-MAT rules make it very very expensive to ship gallon
cans of paint. An average gallon will cost about 30 US dollars, Then there has to be a two layered UN approved box which adds 45 US dollars. Then there is 40 US dollars in paperwork, And, then there is 400 US dollars in shipping for that one gallon can of paint.
This is not a UPS or FED EX inflation of the shipping costs but simply the UN rules for shipping of any materials including some paints that are considered to be haz mat.
One company in England will not ship outside of it's own country due to the extremely high costs for doing so.
Regards,
jimm1009

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks