• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint and markings - DONE (almost)

wilfreeman

Well, I went to the body shop Friday and sanded her. Saturday I went and taped and painted her. Today I painted on her markings. I had one BIG screw up on the hood (you'll have to read and see it on my blog - I'm not typing all that again), and will have a few small touch ups on some of the other markings. All in all, being my first time, I am OK with it.

My blog:
Markings – DONE (almost) | Rebirth of an M38A1

Attachments

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Looks perfect. Very nice work.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Thanks Guys! It'll be with me at the Ga. rally Clinto - ready to try some easy trails!
We had so much fun with our '55 in 2009. I really miss it. You're gonna' have a blast. :D

Attachments

wilfreeman

The only trailering she's going to see is to/from the rallies. I built her to use. I think branch scratches and mud make trucks look better! Is that one of the "logging trails" at Durhamtown, Clinto?

67Beast

Looks good Matt, sorry you had problems with the one paint mask. If you want I will cut you a new hood numbers set and get it in the mail. I keep a file of every marking set I make so that if anyone has a problem, or needs to remark something later on down the road, I have the exact replacement. Just let me know, I 'll send it out free of charge if you think you could use it. I had never thought about squaring the surrounding edges, but that might be a good idea, as I just usually use the lettering of the graphic to find my straight edge. Also I usually do not recommend trying to scuff the paint because it is then easy to damage the edges of the paint masks or contaminate them with dust and debris from sanding. And I will go in and add the word "fully" to the instruction of "let the paint dry before removing mask" so people better understand to let the paint dry fully before trying to remove the masks.

Looks great and I'm glad you are happy with how it turned out. Also let me know when you get ready to mark the M100, as I can do those markings also.

clinto

Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Is that one of the "logging trails" at Durhamtown, Clinto?
The majority of the trails at D-town are "logging" trails similar to what is pictured above. You go a bit and you come to obstacles, that you can either attempt or bypass. Obstacles of all sorts are available: mud, articulation challenges, hills, etc.

zout

Matt - follow Tigger & Adam around in the trails - they will show you the easy trails. Do not want to scratch that baby - did not say anything about SINKING it.:deadhorse:

wilfreeman

Matt - follow Tigger & Adam around in the trails - they will show you the easy trails. Do not want to scratch that baby - did not say anything about SINKING it.
Yeah - say NOOO to sinking her! I'll do the same as I do when riding 4 wheelers with friends - I pull over to the side and take pictures and video of the fools! And sometimes act as a tow truck!

I appreciate the offer on the replacement stencil Dave, but it was my fault - no yours! I wouldn't think of letting you send me a free replacement. For now (until after the rally), I am going to tape off the 3 letters and 3 numbers and touch them up. I wasn't completely satisfied with my "dry sprayed" hood to start with, so I am planning on re spraying and re applying the markings on it this fall/winter. I will order some new hood numbers and star along with my M100 set when I start blasting the trailer, as I know they will be at my door in about 5 days!

I hope you didn't take my comments on my blog as bashing remarks - I, in no way, meant them to sound that way! Like I said, this was MY first time applying markings - it was a learning experience for me.

Now, having the mask squared would aid a newbee like me in applying them. I actually squared some of them off myself (like the bumper stencils - I cut them square, 2" from the ends of the bumper because that's where I wanted them placed). But you will still need to tape the stencil down where you think you want it, measure and visually check it (twice), before you "stick it down.

After I pulled the paint up with the mask, my brother (I used his shop and paint booth to do this work) suggested scuffing the area to be painted before painting. I used a Scotch Brite pad, and yes, it did pull some of the letter points up a little - but I think it helped it to stick better.

Yes, for me and all newbees out there, add "allow the paint to COMPLETELY dry before removing the mask!" You know how impatient we are!

With all that said, thanks for the great product and support, and I'll be placing my M100 order after the rally next month!

Last edited:

67Beast

No offense taken, I do appreciate it because it helps show areas that could use improvements that I don't think of (like squaring the surrounds).

Yes it would be nice to advertise more as right now I do most of my work through word of mouth and on the forums. I do my markings as a little side industry from my daily jobs as the owner of 2 motorcycle dealerships here in Michigan. The addition of the second dealership last fall has left my time short for most other things, which is why I still haven't got my 38a1 painted from last year when I bought it at the Dayton MVPA show. Anyway, the addition should eventually lead to more free time once everything gets running smoothly and at that point I hope to have more time to devote to the decal/markings stuff. I have already purchased the new website URL of www.deltateamdecal.com and hope to have it up and running by the first of the new year.

wilfreeman

I'll help you any way I can - you know that!

2 dealerships? Surprised you got the stencils out as fast as you did! Glad to see you're working on getting your name out there - I did a couple of searches and didn't find you until I typed in your business name. I don't know how the whole Google search - link to me thing works.

Also, do you do custom stencils? I need a "MAX SPEED 50MPH" for the lower w/s frame (or however it's worded), and will need the whole under hood caution thing at a later date.

67Beast

Yep, I can do all kinds of things including the MAX SPEED and under hood cautions.

Somedays I wonder how I get it all done with running the 2 dealerships, but luckily I have great staff at both places.