• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Paint lot Numbers Different

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Got caught again in Gilispie 24087 lot numbers in a case. Shame on me as I got the same thing a few years ago with a case of gallons. You would think a 4 gallon case would be the same lot. I had to open a new can today to paint more blasted parts from Friday. What a difference in color and gloss from the last can. I looked and different lot numbers in the same case. When I put the truck together, I'll have to scuff and paint the whole truck so it matches! Beware if you buy cases!!!

SteveKuhn

It's not so common for run numbers to differ by much any more, especially when they've cured. SRJeeper and I were talking about that with touch ups. At first, there's often a difference. After a couple of months, the difference often fades. My dad was an old time painter who taught me a few things about run numbers when you can't get them the same:
- Check numbers before you start and plan.
- Change in a shadow corner and don't paint parallel surfaces with different runs. (e.g. perhaps do the tailgate & rear or a whole side with the same numbers.
- Use the odd numbers as 1st coat if you're doing 2 or more.
- Mix the cans together to get them all the same.

Mebbe helpful, mebbe not.

Steve

nattieleather

Actually most trucks were given a finial coat at the factory for that reason and a few more. Part of it was because some parts came prepainted from other vendors. Also any bolts that were put in had to get touched up. So the truck would get a final shot before rolling off the line. (or at least that is how they were done in WWII not sure if they did that in post war plants.) It will be good to give it a finial coat anyway.

rboltz

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gloss

The problem is not as much color as gloss. I've painted lots of 24087 over the years and NEVER saw gloss like the can I just used. It shines like a nice new laquer car. Not sure what is going on but it stopped my painting until I get a new batch or, I may shoot 1 coat with this lot and then recoat with a new lot. I just hate the idea of scuffing and masking the entire truck after assembly.

M-37Bruce

Additives

Couldn't you add a de-glossing agent to the Gillespie you have, they are a few tricks to do this.
I don't mind the gloss, the finish is actually a harder finish, eventually the gloss will fade to what you one want.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks