• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

paint questions

ncreb

I have begun pulling apart that recently aquired m37. My students are eager to make her sharp. Where to I find the correct paint. What is the official color etc.
I have NO clue about this, and honestly just don't have the time to search it.

So please, if you will, enlighten me about ALL the pertinent information I need to know about paint. Thanks
Andy

man2112

There is a local place here in Phoenix that makes paint for industrial equipment that we buy paint from. It is water based, and is stronger than ****. They have the entire spectrum of federal standard color codes, and costs about 25-50$ a gallon if i remember correctly. That is MUCH cheaper than any actual CARC that you fill find, and looks and feels the exact same. PM me if you want their info

SteveKuhn

I saw your 1st posts and photos and found it interesting because you bought yours within 48 hours of me buying mine. Paint is the last step in bringing your truck back, so I'm going to suggest giving that part of the project some thought.

Gillespie 24087 from Rapco or Army Jeep Parts (which is on my Deuce) will work, but you might want to teach your students something by doing some M37 archaeology and restoration. From your pics, it doesn't look like the truck was that color.

If you get them to carefully sand and chemically strip down through the layers to find the correct military color(s) and go for a match from there. You might find that it was closer to WarrenD's 'Boonie Rat' M37, done with Randolph 24087 which is far more green (http://www.steelsoldiers.com/gun-trucks/85669-introducing-boonierat.html.) You'll see it on the Internet all over in the color photos from Vietnam.

I've found that specific color as well as the REAL 24087 (more brownish - that is neither Aervoe nor Gillespie) underneath on my truck. There are photos on the site. Warren's truck is great in person.

They might also find some unit markings on the bumpers and hood, and stars on the doors. The truck doesn't need to go back to concours/showroom, but a nice motor pool/DRMO quality redo to as close to original as possible might be a unique learning experience.

I tend to go off the deep end on paint colors and matches, so I'll shut up for now, but will be standing by if I can be of more assistance. If you go with matching instead of the mfr stock colors, there are loads of options from alkyd to latex or acrylic from the major commercial mfrs. Learning to get really top notch match would be another very useful experience.

Now I'll sit back and wait to get plastered by all the Gillespie and Aervoe advocates.

Congratulations on a neat find from another new M37 owner.

Steve

Attachments

Last edited:

ncreb

Thanks Steve,

Yeah I know that Paint is the past step for most people. But let me explain my situation.

As I said, I teach High School Agricultural Mechanics students. We have about 20 kids in each class, and I have 3 classes each day. The administration allows me to use these projects to supplement the teaching all of the related curriculum objectives.

I spend a considerable amount of time to explain what the project is, why it is important, what I want us to do with it, how, why, etc. They all smile and nod and even answer my questions,......BUT......they cannot wait to get their hands on it.

In a classroom of 20, I will have 5-6 that really want to get into the "Meat" of the project. They help with the engine, carb,tans, etc. Who will actually keep up with the parts, and have the ability to reassemble it with some supervision.
I will have 5-6 that just want to take the thing apart but could care less where they put the bolts, nuts, or even the part when it is off.
Then I have 5-6 that will do what I ask them to but ONLY when I ask them to, and then that will be ALL they do until I find them something else to do.
That leaves the final 2-4 that if breathing required work, I'd have to kick them to keep the alive. On occasion, rarely, but on occasion you get one that will even intentionally "Lose" parts, but that is another story.

What I am getting at, is that in order for my shop to run like a productive classroom and not just a "Hangout, text, chat, sleep" garage, I have to keep them all busy. I assign parts or sections to groups and give them responsibility over each washer, nut etc. It it easier to let kids take small parts to the sand blaster, and larger straight solid parts outside with the wire cup brush on a grinder, than to just have them standing around.

I will be having little various and sundry parts and pieces cleaned and painted lond before it is ever ready to reassemble.

I hope that makes sense.

As far as the color goes, I have already found as the base color, what looks like the same light OD green that My '43 Willys had on it. Over that is the darker OD, then white/gray primer then red, then a middle color green again. I have even found what appears to be a dark blue in one place.

I know that there are partial numbers on the bumper as I can see them through the paint, but they have a bumper sticker over part of them, and multiple layers of paint.

This will definately be a motor pool/DRMO redo, as it will be done mostly by 14-17 year old students with me looking over their shoulders.

But hey, it will be the best M37 they have ever seen or worked on!

nattieleather

There were two colors of OD for Army M37s the early ones used a shade sightly darker than the WWII green. I don't remember the number. Then in the late 50 they switch to 24087 that was shown above. I'd say for this project get the 24087 have the kids give it a GI paint job and call it a day.

Oh and post some pics for us.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks