• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painted Fuel Tank Vent

peakbagger

While diagnosing why my SEE started running out of fuel when running, I discovered that the fuel tank vent on mine is equipped with a bronze screen which was nicely painted over rendering the bronze screen useless. This vent is screwed into the top of the tank and has a hose barb sticking out the side. It has an internal ball in it that seals the vent if the tank is flipped. I am not sure if this is the only thing wrong with the fuel system but is definitely a potential contributor. There is some airflow through the barb whne its held vertical but not a lot. I am going to try to clean the screen with paint remover but have also found a replacement that is similar on order (by Velvac) but it may need a thread bushing to fit the tank thread. The paint looks like it came from the factory when the tank was originally painted.

When I rigged up a temporary fuel tank, the throttle response improved substantially, I always keep the fuel tank cover snug so the tank was under partial vacuum. It may be worth for others to see if their truck runs better with the fuel cap removed (or loose) and check to see if their vent is painted over. The tank doesn't need to come out to remove it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks