• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painted on lunette bolt... removing CARC?

allredsd

I'm wanting to flip over the lunette on my M105A2, and I've read a great bit of good advice about getting that darned thing out!

When the refresh was done in 2009, apparently they just re-coated everything... including the castle nut and lunette threads... in CARC.

I've been soaking with WD40 and penetrating oil for a week now (spraying every time I walk by), but as it chemical resistant I'm not sure how much good I'm doing.

I'm getting the angle grinder and wire wheels out next... does anyone have any other suggestions?

PaintedCastle1.jpg PaintedLunette.jpg

Thanks!
Scott

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Aircraft paint remover will cut CARC but honestly when you put your impact on that nut, the castle will flake the paint right off.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could try a hammer and a cold chisel that's sharp to at least get enough cleared away from where you are spraying.
Also, make sure you use a box end wrench or socket to try to turn the nut, a pipe wrench or crescent wrench can damage it.
(if you can find one that has the right pitch on it, you could also use a thread cleaning file to get the CARC out of the threads without too much of it going massively airborn like with a wire wheel)

If you DO break out the grinder and wire wheel, wear a full face respirator, then thoroughly wash your hands and take a shower before you do anything else, CARC is some nasty stuff (carcinogenic) and you REALLY don't want to breath it in, get it in your eyes, or ingest any.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks