• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Painting bolts

plym49

This is how the antique car restoration folks do it: prime the bolts and nuts but don't topcoat. Topcoat all of the components: axles, etc. Assemble. Now use a small brush and paint the fasteners.

Vintage iron

Just clean them up good, put the part back on and paint them in place. That is what the military did. I put anti-seize goop on all my bolts too. If you want the bolt to be a different color? sandblast them and blacken them. It is a acid etch/anodizing solution for guns and hardware.

135gmc

If I want to re-use existing bolts, I run them through the parts washer if they are greasy, then I dump a handfull into a basket I made from 1/8" wire mesh and hit the bolts with a bead blaster. I shake the basket while I'm blasting to keep them moving. The bolts then get dumped into prep etch (phosphate cleaner) for a few moments, then rinsed. I use a tapered punch to put holes into an old cardboard box, then I can spray the bolt heads and not get much on the threads.

If the old paint was removed first, the bolt heads fit a socket wrench pretty well. Use a 6-point socket that's in good condition. You will probably have some touchup, but not a lot.

Also, be sure the paint is cured and hard before you install the bolts.

trailita

I'm in the process of restoring my 1967 M762.
I have a question for you guys.
should I paint bolts, screws and nuts matching the color of the trailer?
I'm gonna use lusterlee olive drab
or I can just clean everything and clear coated them?

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
my thought is no.

It is such a pain to have to scrape the overcoats of carc paint to use a socket. I have a radar trailer with at least 3 coats of paint. It had lots of special gadgets bolted to the bed that I scrapped and it was such a pain to have to beat every bolt (60+) with the socket to seat the socket to use an impact. If you have to ever disassemble anything, you will be happier not having to fight an additional coat of paint.

Some unpainted or shiny bolts will not distract from the overall paint job. Your mileage varies.

Ray70

I also use etching primer... I sandblast and stick them through cardboard, 1 light coat of etching primer ( green, gray or black ) depending on the finial color they will be painted. let dry overnight then topcoat, dry 2 days min. and install. I usually use a 6 point socket instead of 12 but that's just me. I figured the wider flatter contact patch of a 6 point would do less damage than the sharper points of a 12 point by spreading out the load more...:shrugs: but I don't know for sure, never tried 12 point.

135gmc

I've had good results by poking a tapered punch through some cardboard, then stuffing the bolt partway through. I usually space the bolts about 2" apart so they can be sprayed easily.

GUNNY 155

I have an abrasive blasting cabinet so I glass beaded all hardware and primed and painted everything very few problems with chipping. I used a lot of new grade 8 fasteners on the frame and some other areas and found paint sticks better if you blast these too before painting.

Whiterabbit

I've found a good trick. Once the bolts are blasted or wire brushed toss them in some Ospho from Ace hardware or Jasco from Lowes to etch and phos coat them. Then stick them in cardboard and 2 light coats of spray paint. Paint sticks really well to the etched fasteners and the phos will help prevent rust. Or punch holes in some stiff paper and place it over the bolt/nut like a mask and rattle can to match once it's bolted together.
You can etch/clean with citric acid from the grocery store too! It's used in food canning and comes as powder in a plastic bottle. CHEAP! Strips rust and grime, and brightens copper/brass, cleans aluminum too. 3-4 tbl spoons to a gallon of hot/boiling water.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks