• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parasitic battery draw

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tested both alternators - good voltage at idle. After the 40 mile trip, I did start it (to be sure it would), but turned it off almost immediately. Might the, hot, starter (if not at 100%) have sucked the batteries down? Is there anyway for the starter to cause/contribute to the drawn down when the vehicle is not running?
What were the good voltages?

Rrent

What were the good voltages?
I just tested with my Harbor Freight battery load tester. The #1 was rebuilt 3-4 months ago, #2 rebuilt 2-3 days ago. The number one seems to move the needle after the truck has been running for a while. Hopefully unrelated (but I didn’t think to notice the timing), I did get the high idle/ip timing advance set up and can tell when the truck warms up enough for it to “kick-off”.04C91A8D-65E2-4DF6-BC55-A77FA4E0039D.jpeg96594F6E-E7F0-4560-997C-FA96969FE0FC.jpeg

frank8003

In Memorial
In Memorial
I've got a 24v system in my Bass Boat, and I have a Genius Batter Charger that charges all 3 batteries (starting battery and 24V (two 12s) trolling batteries) on a trickle charge. Probably one of the best purchases I made for that system, because those batteries aren't cheap., and that Genius battery charger can bring some batteries back from the dead.

I may do the same thing on this truck if I'm going to be letting it sit for long periods.

View attachment 851134
that thing is
Fully submersible.
and is 300 bucks.

Squibbly

that thing is
Fully submersible.
and is 300 bucks.
I paid 170 on Amazon. Not sure why someone would charge (or pay) double.

Amazon.com: NOCO Genius GENM3, 3-Bank, 12-Amp (4-Amp Per Bank) Fully-Automatic Smart Marine Charger, 12V Onboard Battery Charger And Battery Maintainer : Sports & Outdoors

Squibbly

I was looking at that exact one - kinda pricey for my “truck budget”, but I’ll probable get it. Have you had a chance to hook yours up? I would love a real world review before I spend the $’s.
I haven't had a chance to hook it up yet. I'll give a review once I've had a chance to use it.
My brother seems to like it, and he generally knows what's up with these things.

I PMd you on the other stuff.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just tested with my Harbor Freight battery load tester. The #1 was rebuilt 3-4 months ago, #2 rebuilt 2-3 days ago. The number one seems to move the needle after the truck has been running for a while. Hopefully unrelated (but I didn’t think to notice the timing), I did get the high idle/ip timing advance set up and can tell when the truck warms up enough for it to “kick-off”.View attachment 851530View attachment 851531
Alternator #2 is 14.8 which is the regulator set point so it's ok. Alternator #1 is 13.8 and that is low. If the battery is ok and just discharged it should eventually come up to about 14.8. If it doesn't come up to 14.8 or within a couple of tenth's of a volt about 5 minutes after starting the engine, I would charge the battery over night and then load test it. If the battery is ok then there's a problem in the alternator or truck wiring.

Rrent

Alternator #2 is 14.8 which is the regulator set point so it's ok. Alternator #1 is 13.8 and that is low. If the battery is ok and just discharged it should eventually come up to about 14.8. If it doesn't come up to 14.8 or within a couple of tenth's of a volt about 5 minutes after starting the engine, I would charge the battery over night and then load test it. If the battery is ok then there's a problem in the alternator or truck wiring.
It does increase with run time - I’ll keep checking. Fingers crossed it’s not wiring.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks