• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parking brake help

Doucheddeuce

hello everyone!
I am attempting to fix my parking brake in my 1968 m54a2, my problem is the lever doesn’t have a lot of throw to disengage or apply the shoes (The lever is adjusted all the way up and only goes down to about a 45 degree angle when brakes are in the disengaged position). The cable and the lever are both new as they were both bad when I bought the truck. The brake shoes have been adjusted to meet spec. Along with the cable where the acorn nut is. I’m not entirely sure I have the right yoke end on the cable where the lever meets the cable. If someone could possibly supply a picture of the right one or point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated! Thank y’all in advanced! Here’s a pic of the yoke that’s on the cable now.

Attachments

Last edited:

INFChief

You’re making me dig way back in my memory bank! I thought the cable had 2 threaded ends but if there was a clevis end it may have been at the actuator handle in the cab. If I remember correctly, the cable that goes to the shoes has a threaded end & is routed through that arm (item 27) that levers both shoes to clamp on the drum.

Do you have item # 26 that “mustache spring”?

1643595974169.png

Doucheddeuce

You’re making me dig way back in my memory bank! I thought the cable had 2 threaded ends but if there was a clevis end it may have been at the actuator handle in the cab. If I remember correctly, the cable that goes to the shoes has a threaded end & is routed through that arm (item 27) that levers both shoes to clamp on the drum.

Do you have item # 26 that “mustache spring”?

View attachment 857476
Yes I replaced that too haha, it was also broken in half when I got the truck. It is threaded at both ends. It seems like the whole handle itself needs to be lifted up to sit right to get proper throw.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks