• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Partial electrical out- Truck still runs/starts

one_bad_rover

Hey all.
So Im a bit stumped here and hoping someone might have insight on where to start.
1963 M35a2. Fire Truck Conversion. Has a remote 12v. system for lights and pumps.
The electrical keeps failing. And by failing I mean, I get in, turn the power on. Get the buzz. Truck starts up, no problem. But I have absolutely no lights anywhere else.
Batteries are new, everything appears to be grounded, but Im drawing a blank as to even where to start after checking all my grounds. Any suggestions, locations, etc... appreciated.
Thanks!m54-1.jpg

dmetalmiki

That is a beautiful looking truck.
However, If 'twas I, I would simply (Well not so simple actually) rewire to all 24 volt everything.(Especially if it is not a military conversion).
If like some Macks the electricals are running through inverters, then it can become a genuine nightmare.
A stock deuce harness would be a cure all if you are up for it.
My Diamond T was 24 12 6 volt!..Not any bloomin' more, It is ALL 12 Volt now.

dmetalmiki

OK, Well actually as some of the kit in my M45-530c tfft has 12 volt units, I have fitted an inverter, Rather than taking power from the FIRST battery,
If you have problems with this circuit, Look for a "king sized cable" from the FIRST battery to power the auxillaries. Or seek out where the inverter is in the circuit (Of 24 Volts)..

Last edited:

Sgt C

Dont know if it's related but recently had a similar (not exactly the same) situation. After repainting I had headlights but no running lights, no turn signals, no dash or brake lights. The only thing disturbed during the process was I took off the turn signal lever from the steering column. Since I painted the column, I wondered if the turn signal body needed to be grounded. I took it off and noticed 4 small protrusions. I scraped the paint a bit and reinstalled the assembly. Everything worked after that. Haven't verified that the assembly actually grounds through the column on the schematics but it fixed my issue.

SETOYOTA

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The turns signal does ground through the Column . Not much help on your truck with a home made harness.

jerryb59

I had trouble with no power on my 24 volt and 12 volt systems. I noticed that the light switch would trip every time i turned it on. It will reset after a few seconds. It turned out to be 2 wires going to the headlights that had rubbed together and shorted out.
The way i found it was by turning the light switch on several times and then i felt the wires until i found one that was warmer then the rest. then followed it to the short.
It took about a week of trouble shooting and scratching my head.
Hope this helps.