• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Parts is parts

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Before I do a lot of internet searching or mine the SS archives does anyone know if a regular person can buy from vendors that do business with AM General.
I need parts for the M915 and would prefer do go straight to the source rather than EPAY or the usual suspects such as Memphis Equipment.
Any thoughts or ideas.

jasonjc

It would depend on the vendor. The ones that make the fuel pump for the deuce will sell them to us(cheper than the dealers). Gma sell the covers/tops. All you can do is call/email them and ask.:roll:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I need an original air horn (goes on top of the cab), speedo/tach cables, headlight switch and windshield wiper motors (air operated). I also need a lower hood panel for the drivers side and the hood hold up latch for the passenger side.

I found the one of the cables on EPAY but I don't have PAYPAL (and dont want it) and there was no contact info for the seller (so he gets to keep his merchandise).

Having the name of the original vendors would be great.

Coldfusion21

I would be surprised if they give you a list of vendors, but you never know. The vendors themselves will most likely do business with you.

Would the speedo/ tach cables be something off the shelf that a place that does that sorta thing could make "custom"?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good luck dealing with AMG...... They want us MV'er with their products NOT to exist, and dont help anyone with ANYTING... Try calling and see how fast they hang up the phone...

This is from their FAQ's page on their website.

Can the public purchase parts for Humvees or other military vehicles manufactured by AM General? No, these parts, as well as service information, are available only to military customers. Occasionally these vehicles wind up in civilian hands. However, AM General does not support these vehicles when they are in civilian ownership.

Last edited:

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
They want us MV'er with their products NOT to exist

It's one thing not to bother with us, as we are a tiny market and probably wouldn't even affect their bottom line, but you are saying they don't want us to own the stuff in any shape way or form? Background info? What's their point of view in this?

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also heard that while at CSI. AMG will sell parts to them since they are reselling to govts. AMG will not sell anything to a private citizen (I think it's a liability thing). That's why we can't get the dual circuit brakes because AMG will not sell the parts but to certain businesses, now you could go to CSI and have them order it but remember they sell to govts and you will pay accordingly.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I also heard that while at CSI. AMG will sell parts to them since they are reselling to govts. AMG will not sell anything to a private citizen (I think it's a liability thing). That's why we can't get the dual circuit brakes because AMG will not sell the parts but to certain businesses, now you could go to CSI and have them order it but remember they sell to govts and you will pay accordingly.
That is prob correct Jim......but it nevers hurts to try....I basically ask them for a list of vendors.....if they blow me off I'll put a Public Affairs dam dam on them.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd go to the local Autozone and ask them where they get their parts and see if their jobber will sell to you. Heck, do the same thing with the grocery store, maybe their supplier will sell to you too. I just can't see any good reason a retailer wouldn't give you this info with the exception of maybe......keeping their business alive and open!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kenny has a good point.

When I was in the IT consulting side of the business we originally started out by building proposals with model numbers and vendors that we were going to use for a project. After a few potential clients just took our list and bought the stuff direct to save a few dollars we started building proposals that left out key information that we would not share with the client.

If they tried to build the proposed networking infrastructure from our proposal they ended up with a lot of expensive hardware that wouldn't work. Too bad for them.

I remember designing an entire fiber optic network from scratch on a whiteboard during a presentation and they took photographs of it and built it all themselves without us getting a thing out of it.

Don't be surprised if someone doesn't want to share that info.

IMHO
steve

Coldfusion21

Well, at least with the grocery and autozone examples, neither supplier would be likely to sell to you (they want wholesale accounts).

However with AMG there is likely many companies that sell to them and also sell to the public and other businesses. Whether any of those companies are the ones your after is a crap shoot.

Please report back with what they say, i think it will be interesting not to mention helpful to all these new 915 owners.

cundupa

From what I can see on my M919, most parts should be available from a heavy truck parts supplier. I use Western Michigan Fleet Parts. I do not have a web site for them right now, google it or I'll find it. I'll look at the parts you need on my truck and see if they can get them.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I don't think AMG is interested in selling retail to us MV types.

My intention was to buy RETAIL from the vendor and allow them to make a PROFIT.

I am retired and on a fixed income....of which I share with an ex-wife, I have to save money whenever I can.

Army Ed

i can see what we have laying around in the shop.never know i might be able to get ya the wiper motor and possibly the horns...Not sure yet.we have gathered so many parts from units that are being closed down and are not on the books.just sorta spare junk layin around..lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks