• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PCV Valve

rodmayo

What direction is Pcv valve supose to be,arrow faceing radiator or arrow faceing firewall ?

Last edited by a moderator:

rodmayo

I had my m170 motor rebuilt and after about 200 miles ,I was driving it home and started loosing power so l pulled over and it was pukeing oil out of the drain plug hole in bellhouseing.It still runs good and doesn't make any noise.could my Pcv valve quit working and over preasurized motor? Should I run it and see if if leeks again? Or pull motor and go through it?

Last edited:
PVC = Poly Vinyl Chloride (plastic pipe for non-commercial plumbing applications)
PCV = Positive Crankcase Ventilator (a check-valve for relieving blow-by pressure inside an internal combustion engine to equalize with the outside atmosphere)
PVC/PCV (a common transposition that may cause momentary confusion for some and cause some people to give you a hard time about it)
:beer:

steelandcanvas

My gut tells me you may have more problems than a clogged or PCV valve installed improperly. But we'll start with the basics first, and go from there. The arrow would indicate the direction of flow, you want that flow out of the engine. Try and shake the PCV valve and see if it rattles inside. No rattle, clean or replace. Rattles? Clean it anyway. How much oil did it puke out? A few tablespoons, a quart?

rodmayo

The valve is the right way and it did rattle when I put together last fall.lost 2 quarts of oil,didn't register on dip stick I put a couple of 2 quarts in to load it and know it shows full.It would have all drained it was leaking good .

JGBallew

The valve is the right way and it did rattle when I put together last fall.lost all oil
You have a bigger problem than a stuck crankcase vent system. Oil puking out the bellhousing is usually a rear main seal. I forget if there's any lube passages or plugs back there, but you need to address that issue before driving it much more.

steelandcanvas

I've never had that particular motor apart, but can you offset the rear main seals so the halfway point of the seal is not on the same plane as the block surface and the pan surface? We used to offset the seals on Small Block Chevys because they were notorious for rear main leaks. Just thinking outloud.

JGBallew

I've never had that particular motor apart, but can you offset the rear main seals so the halfway point of the seal is not on the same plane as the block surface and the pan surface? We used to offset the seals on Small Block Chevys because they were notorious for rear main leaks. Just thinking outloud.

The seal is above the plane of the pan, contained in the saddle that holds the rear main bearing as well.

Most of the problems with rear mains in the F-134 seems to come from undersize/worn crankshaft seal surfaces and some poorly made lip type seals.

modified

Check the welsh plug to the Cam when you pull the motor . While your at it, inspect the clutch if its oil soaked due to the leak from either the rear main or cam welsh plug.

let us know what you discovered.