• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Phase selector switch Help! MEP Gen

Tpoole

My mep002a phase switch was stuck and my dumb butt forced it to turn; power works but i think i damaged the switch; does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix it? it seems like i did bend it; the unit still makes power i am just not sure if i damaged anything....input?

Chainbreaker

What do you mean by: "It seems I did bend it"? Is the pointer misaligned...or what exactly do you think is "bent"?

One thing you can do easily is to take the side cover off to inspect. However, if its working and producing the correct electrical output you might not want to mess with it until you do some research on how to free it up. There are several threads on how to unstick a stuck votage selector switch.

Hint,,, with generator off, it involves slightly loosening the nuts on the wafer switch and spraying contact cleaner on & between wafer sections (DeOxit is good) and then working switch back and forth and then retightning screws/nuts holding wafers together.

Ray70

FYI, CB's last paragraph above has worked for me 1/2 dozen times minimum!
The secret is to loosen the hardware inside and just be patient, rock the switch back and forth repeatedly and all of a sudden it will switch as normal.
This is assuming forcing it hasn't damaged anything, but if you were just using your hand you probably didn't break anything, it may just be stuck 1/2 way between 2 of the detents.

Tpoole

FYI, CB's last paragraph above has worked for me 1/2 dozen times minimum!
The secret is to loosen the hardware inside and just be patient, rock the switch back and forth repeatedly and all of a sudden it will switch as normal.
This is assuming forcing it hasn't damaged anything, but if you were just using your hand you probably didn't break anything, it may just be stuck 1/2 way between 2 of the detents.

Attachments

Tpoole

So I already messed up the switch but I am not sure what position this is set to with the flat part on top, bought it without the switch so I have no reference.

Tpoole

I can check one and see where the flat corresponds to.
It may actually be in the correct place for 120/240.
If so, leave it and be done with it, but I will check position later today.
Thank you very much, I guess that's all I need is to clarify where the flat part of the switch is, wish I could find another switch but they have been out of stock for a long time now

Ray70

I believe you are in 208 3 phase.
You can verify you setting AM/VM switch to the 3 phase 208 setting and see if gage reads 208 or use a DMM and see if you have power on L2.
If you go from L2 to either L1 or L3 you should get around 208 on your AC volt setting.

Guyfang

Staff member
Ref the knob. Kurt Kloppk
Thank you very much, I guess that's all I need is to clarify where the flat part of the switch is, wish I could find another switch but they have been out of stock for a long time now
If you don't look, you won't find. There are switches from time to time in Epay. There are AC out put boxes from time to time in Epay. There are two different switches. Both work.

Ray70

I would seriously try loosening the bolts and jiggling the switch , working to the right and attempt to get it so the flat is down.
Looks like you already used a "ViceGrip" style knob!
I have a spare switch I can sell you BUT believe me, swapping out that switch is no small task!

Tpoole

I would seriously try loosening the bolts and jiggling the switch , working to the right and attempt to get it so the flat is down.
Looks like you already used a "ViceGrip" style knob!
I have a spare switch I can sell you BUT believe me, swapping out that switch is no small task!
Okay thank you, I have everything run to 50 amp RV hook up then run to a distribution block pics attached is the flat side down the still recommended choice? I thank you for the help!!

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks