• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picked up my first Mep-002a

bosko

Hello,

This is my first post on this site. Some how I came down with a mild case of MEP disease and had to buy one for a fun project. I also ended up buying a second one that I have not picked up / Received yet. I hope I get well soon. Also I was asked by a member to post lots of pictures so I will.

This mep looks a little rough. The control panel is bent a little but can be fixed easy. Some wires are pulled out one of the harnesses, The linkage is broken, There are some plugs that are disconnected, the high pressure pump has a stud and bolts missing from where it mounts. The most troubling thing that may be the silver bullet is that the blower on the generator is loose. This was all I saw in my 5 minute walk around, I didn't have much time explore today.

I have the TMs and will start reading them so I can get a game plan going for this poor MEP. If anyone has any tips I would appreciate them!

Fuel Tank looks good.

Wires pulled out.

Pump Flange, wheres the stud?

Wheres the bolts?

Picture of stater through vent hole. Not sure if this looks normal...

Something missing.

Extra pieces:

Linkage:

This looks fishy:

not sure where these go.

Last edited:

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome to the Site! Great pictures. I suspect that it will take a while to trouble shoot that Genny. If nothing else, you have a lot of good parts for your other machine. Good Luck!

As far as your "MEPitis"...... Sometimes it takes a nice 003A before you really get on the road to recovery. Maybe even one of those on its own little trailer with a tarp to cover it. I would never dare to say that that would be a sure cure though.

RichardR

Hello Bosko and welcome to the site. We can always use another MEP addict.

I don't want to discourage you in your early stages of addiction, but I will suggest that you will have a much smoother introduction to MEP-itis if you wait till your other MEP-002a arrives so you can compare it to the one you have posted the pictures of. You will have a lot of TM-reading, acquiring more than a few missing parts, and perhaps discovering the value of strong language if you start right in to repair the unit you posted the pictures of. It will be a great help to have another unit for comparison.

The pictures you posted show indications that someone had already begun to repair the unit but gave up when they either got discouraged or discovered something that made repair uneconomical. The things I notice that are red flags include:
1. The fuel shut-off solenoid is missing. You can get a satisfactory used one from someone who is parting out a similar unit.
2. The Injection Pump has been removed and then put back in place without bolting it down. Perhaps the IP is bad and the original mechanic chose not to repair or replace it.
3. The long thin screen that normally covers the generator coupling and fan has been removed and is laying on the rear of the generator. Perhaps the mechanic was preparing to separate the engine from the generator. No telling from the pictures what might have been done in the coupling area. As you are aware from your comments, the fan should not be loose on the shaft.

No doubt, the unit in the pictures CAN be repaired, but it will take a lot of work. You will learn much easier if you have a second unit (hopefully one that works) to use as a guide. And there are some real experts on this forum to guide you over the rough spots.

You DO have a wonderfully clean and rust-free fuel tank to be very proud of. Most tanks are rusty, full of gunk and with pinhole leaks that need repair.

Again, welcome to the forum and have fun with your new addiction.

Regards,
Richard

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hopefully the problems with your set are nothing a little TLC can't solve. It looks like some parts were canibalized, and others are new. New fuel pumps, but missing the shutoff solenoid. Under the "somethings missing" lot of pics, the empty hole in the bellhousing is where the flywheel indicator needle (whatever you want to call it) goes. That's the needle you line up with the marks on the flywheel to time the IP. Looks like a good project.

Before you spend a lot of money on parts, do like was suggested and read the TM's and compare with your other generator to see if you want to get just one working or both. Also, before you do anything try to turn the engines over by hand before you start dumping parts into them.

bosko

I put off the first MEP002 to the side. The second one was more complete. The darn thing wouldn't fire up. i noticed smoke coming out all around the head. No head gasket... I didn't have another gasket so I stole the whole head with gasket off the other generator. It fired right up. Here is a pointless video I took of it running. It makes power and proper voltage in all 3 settings. Now need to finish putting all the skin back on and fix some small leaks from the spin on fuel filter station. Also need to tweak the hold downs on the new battery tray, it fits group 24 style batteries.
Need to figure out a way to DIY load test this thing.

Attachments

RichardR

Congratulations Bosko:beer:,

If you were able to diagnose the "no head gasket" problem, switch the head from one genny to another and get it running as shown in the video, you obviously know more than a little about how to use a wrench and are already well on your way to MEP addiction. You're way ahead of many first-timers.

You know, of course, that you will now have to get an MEP-003, 004, etc., as you work your way up the addiction ladder.:-|

Good luck,
Richard

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Congrats.

When you start to work on the other one, if you do some digging I think the head gaskets are still available. It may be hard to find them though.

Good Luck

islandguydon

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome. Your in good company around here. Don't worry about the extra wire tie strapped to the one plugged in to the temp sensor. Thats an extra in the harness for a MEP003.
They are interchangeable.

Speddmon

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Those are water heater elements...they will work great, but you need to immerse them in a liquid first or they will burn up pretty quickly.

storeman

I have a friend who works for a hvac company. they scrap all old heat pump interior units they replace. the units have strip heaters in them for emergency heat, usually 10-15kw set up in 5 kw strips. I got a 10kw, disabled the second strip, have a 5kw load bank, wire it direct to the terminals, add a quad outlet on a lead from the terminals, add a hair dryer and you have 6,500 watts, another and you have 8,00 watts. Easy, peasy.
Jerry :beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks