• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up a Bridge Erection Boat on Cradle

gotaconvoy

Howdy all.

Has anyone picked up one of these bridge erection boats themselves when it's on a cradle and the yard has zero loading capability? Curious how you did it. Hiring a rigging company to lift it onto my flatbed trailer is going to kill the deal. It looks like these cradles are almost like a sled, as if they're designed to be winched up onto a truck or trailer. I'm thinking a 12k winch with some HDPE sheets between the cradle and trailer could possibly work. Any experience?

For reference: https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/250645#2

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Howdy all.

Has anyone picked up one of these bridge erection boats themselves when it's on a cradle and the yard has zero loading capability? Curious how you did it. Hiring a rigging company to lift it onto my flatbed trailer is going to kill the deal. It looks like these cradles are almost like a sled, as if they're designed to be winched up onto a truck or trailer. I'm thinking a 12k winch with some HDPE sheets between the cradle and trailer could possibly work. Any experience?

For reference: https://gsaauctions.gov/auctions/preview/250645#2
A $500 or $700 lift on bill is going to kill the deal? Are you serious? You are buying a bridging boat with the skid, its got a 20k reserve more than likely.

It's also a NG unit. Contact them about loading assistance. Gsa just posts it to cover their rear

gotaconvoy

You know, you make a good point....I've got absolutely no idea what a crane would cost to lift it onto a trailer. I just assumed it was going to be astronomical.

I called the yard POC who confirmed they offer zero assistance loading and I'd have to hire a crane.

Guyfang

Staff member
Its been, 29 years ago this month, that I was in WOC school in FLW. I think the instructor told us the boat, without cradle was 8,900-9,000 Lbs. But I sure would not bet on that figure.

Guyfang

Staff member
WEIGHTS AND DIMENSIONS
Operating Weight, w/ crew, equipment and fuel (Gross Weight)8800 lbs (4000 kg) Length322.8 in (820 cm)
Beam98.0 in (249 cm)
Height w/o cab or mast77.9 in (198 cm) w/ cab109.8 in (279 cm) w/ cab and mast177.9 in (452 cm)

Just found this in the -10 operators TM.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You know, you make a good point....I've got absolutely no idea what a crane would cost to lift it onto a trailer. I just assumed it was going to be astronomical.

I called the yard POC who confirmed they offer zero assistance loading and I'd have to hire a crane.
Heavy Wreckers run about 250 to $450 an hour from port to port.

They could also use a landoll trailer winch it onto their trailer and then use a snatch block and winch to pull it onto your trailer or your winch could pull it straight over

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Typical rollback would probably work fine as well, especially if it’s deck was a little higher than yours.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You are going to have alot more costs than just the lift on a trailer! I love the stories on this site about the 3k vehicle really costing 20k 🤣

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks