• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up an M816, new to the 5tons

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to the M809 series
Going to pickup an XM816 that has been on public display for a couple years, it was driven to it's current location & batteries removed. Have had several multi-fuel deuces & a couple CUCV's.
No experience with the NHC250 Cummins.
Thinking of trying with just two batteries, & assuming we'll have some water in the fuel tanks, planning on siphoning off the bottom of the tanks. Do they have a water separator filter to drain.
been cold here still, but is supposed to hit 50 degrees tomorrow from a freeze overnight.
Any tips will be appreciated.
See less

Attachments

Joe Bertram

New to the M809 series
Going to pickup an XM816 that has been on public display for a couple years, it was driven to it's current location & batteries removed. Have had several multi-fuel deuces & a couple CUCV's.
No experience with the NHC250 Cummins.
Thinking of trying with just two batteries, & assuming we'll have some water in the fuel tanks, planning on siphoning off the bottom of the tanks. Do they have a water separator filter to drain.
been cold here still, but is supposed to hit 50 degrees tomorrow from a freeze overnight.
Any tips will be appreciated.
See less
I've got a 1970 816 great trucks , decent drains on the bottom of the tank depending on how old the fuel and if there's a ton of water in it. Pretty hardy set up

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good looking truck!

One thing to look at is the emergency fuel shutoff. Unlike the deuce, which resets when the handle is pushed back in, the M816/813 etc. have to be manually pushed back into the run mode.
A buddy of mine bought an M820 cheap at a police auction because no one, including the department that had it, could get the truck to start. After the auction, folks crowded around and wanted to know how we intended to move it, we replied "Drive it!", though we had my 813 there to flat tow it if necessary.
On the pre-inspection, I had seen what the problem probably was; after the auction I climbed up and reset the shutoff, the truck started immediately. With the refrain of "RTFM!", we drove it away.

Cheers

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks