• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Picking up the orphan M103

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Finally got a trailer hitch for my daily ride, a Durango. Once installed tomorrow, plan to pick up my orphan M103 chassis trailer from its current ditch 40 miles from here, and tow back for an unknown camper/genset trailer project here. Price was right, $75 no title. Needed a lot of sanding and paint, new brake lines and a new tire on one side. Not pretty, but will take pics of it when I go pick it up.

Yes, I know, I know, a M103 behind a Durango probably isn't recommended, especially with no brakes on the trailer. But it is unloaded, stripped down, and I will be taking back roads, so I'm gonna be careful with the tow back home.

jasonjc

RE: tow

I don't know. I tried to take my chassi trailer from the lube unit to the sand blaster the other day. At 30 mph the trailer started to bounce into the air and tried to take my 1/2 ton 4X4 with it. I'm going to sand blast it myself. I hope it was just because it had no wight on it, and not something wrong with the trailer.?.

papercu

tow

I've hauled just the chassis home with no problems. A bias-ply tire will sometime have a flat spot from sitting but will usually work itself out after driving a few miles. Wayne

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I picked up the orphan M103. I'm not really sure of the designation - it could be a M105 without the body, the data plate is faded to the point of non-legibility. All I know is it is a 1965 2-wheel trailer, and looks hideous. But the price was right.

Got the hitch put on my truck early Friday morning, and went out on Friday afternoon to pick up the trailer. I called the seller, he aired up the tires, and I'm not sure that was a futile effort - the tires are mid 60's vintage, and haven't been used in 20 years. I was wondering if they would hold air for the 50-mile ride home. But, they seemed okay, a little flat on one side from sitting all this time. PITA to hook up a trailer this heavy by myself, but I made it work.

The ride home was interesting - the tires had a flat spot in them from sitting, and made the trailer shake a little. A bit of a bounce when it was going over potholes, but at 50-60 mph, it hauled very well. Braking was no problem, despite having no brakes on the trailer.

Some pics of hooking it up:

Attachments

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm not sure what I'm going to do with the trailer, I was thinking about mounting a few tool boxes, a genset, small water tank, chow box, etc. to it and hauling it behind a deuce for a camping equipment trailer. But I wanted an opinion of the audience here to see what you all though about this -

Looks like the frame was crudely lengthened by welding in a couple small C-beams in the forward frame rails. Not sure of the rigidity of the whole shebang. I can tear it down for parts and still make my $$$ back, so I'm not worried there. What do you think of this graft?

Attachments

Opie

maddawg308 said:
I was thinking about mounting a few tool boxes, a genset, small water tank, chow box, etc. to it and hauling it behind a deuce for a camping equipment trailer.
I think you really mean to use it as a "safe haven" for beer for the spring trail ride...

rofl

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Laugh if you will but a bumper jack is great for hooking these things up. Just ask Wayne Harris, he sold me on the idea.

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yeah, never thought of it. One of those hi-lift 4x4 jacks would be great to hook-up trailers.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, after looking over the piss-poor welding job a previous owner did on the 18" frame rail extensions (see above pic) along with about 2 or 3 torch-cut frame crossmembers in the back, I think I can safely say, that this trailer is not safe to put too much weight on. Not to mention that with the price of real M105 and M103 trailers in nice shape going for a few hundred bucks, in solid usable condition, I can't justify trying to fix this up.

It's got some good parts on it, two good wheels and spare tires, an axle, the landing wheel and pintle assembly. Will put on the Classifieds here shortly.

At least the parts will soldier on....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks