• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pictures of the V17A/MTQ

stefos

This is my 1951 V17A/MTQ,telephone construction and maintenance truck. I own it for two years but the firt time I saw it was twelve years ago when I was a soldier and it was one of my unit's trucks. It runs and stops fine but it needs restoration. It was used only on paredes and has no miles on it.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
That's a great truck George. Those are very rare here in the States and would draw a hefty price! Did you find it there in Greece?

Desert Rat

George,
What a wonderful truck and a rare piece of history too. Your photos are excellent too. Godspeed in the restoration!

fujinama

Gas motor? What kind of fuel economy does it give you? The gas motors have a unique sound from what I have heard. Thanks for the pictures.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WOW! Thanks George, I've been waiting to see these. That is indeed a rare beast. David Doyle would sure like to add that to his motorpool of green!

stefos

Thanks guys. I am glad you like my truck. I will try to answer your questions. This truck served the Greek Army and it is almost certain that it was bought new. It was in the same unit with me, twelve years ago when I was serving my time as a soldier. The truck was parked in a shelter and never been used. In the same place there was a V18A/MTQ, which I also try to buy. In 1994 the V17 was released from the army. It was the first time I tried to buy it but I failed. The one, who took it, left it in a field among tons and tons of scrap machinery for nearly eight years and then decided to sell it to me. It is unbelievable but it took me more than six months to remove the surrounding metals and take it out. Most of this time I was asking the man to remove the scrap but he was busy. It took just two days for my best three friends with a tractor a loader and a hand winch to do the job. At the time I had some M38A1s and two M37s so the V17 looked huge. The 20-mile trip all the way home with the V17 flat towed by the tractor and the loader and some cars following is something only you can understand. All who saw the convoy thought that I had to throw the truck in the nearby lake. When I took it home I started the job. I made it running and stopping and then a new Deuce came up. As I herd one is not enough. The job on the V17 stopped for a wile because the other Deuce is diesel powered. In a country where the price of gas is about 3,5$ a gallon and with a beast that gets 3 to 5 miles a gallon you can’t expect that the V17 is a daily driver. I have to tell you that I disconnected the fuel line from the tank and I use a 20lit jelly can. I am afraid to fill the tank. The beast will drink it. As for the engine sound it sure don’t belong to a truck. It reminds me the 6cyl BMW. Smooth and clear but I prefer the whistler. There is a saying that we all like that we don’t have! Now I am planning to restore the truck. It is the last V17A/MTQ in Greece so I have to preserve it. But perhaps I will slow a bit down if the V18 cams. I forgot to tell you that I have an understanding wife.

big mike

theres one of those trucks in the woods near my house. the heathens grabbed the rears out of it and most of anything else thats on it worth stealing

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Big Mike, any way of getting in contact with the owners? I have a friend with use of that truck.

big mike

i wish i could get ahold of it, even in the wretched condition its in right now. the only problem is that the owner is a man by the name of Sam, as in Uncle Sam. im not sure why its there, but its near a drilling area called Vietnam Village. its a prison camp with grass topped towers and mock VC tunnels for training our boys, and its still in use, i saw hummers there last time i was out that way. i wouldnt want to get caught tryin to take the truck or anything off of it, my dad knew somebody who got caught taking junk off of the ranges for scrap metal and was sent to federal prison for it. theres a bunch of cool military stuff near my house in the woods, i'll have to take a trail ride in my samurai so i can get some pics of all the trucks, jeeps, and tanks that are around the woods on FT. Dix

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks