• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pintle R & R

BKinzey

I'm trying to remove the pintle from the mounting plate. Took the plate off the bumper, got the castle nut off & washer and that's it. I thought it would come apart. Couple of whacks with the hammer got no results. I've pulled the 4 bolts out and the bushing/support plates on both sides of the mounting plate will move with some effort. I'm wondering if these are threaded as well?

Soaked it in penetrate and applied heat to it yesterday. Soaked it again for overnight. Before I get out the BFH I'm wondering if I'm missing something or it's just dirt & rust holding it together?

Thanks.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Four foot pipe to turn it(in the hitch)? I don't know about the cucv, but the 715/725 sometimes need to be twisted out.

BKinzey

Hmmmm. Ok.

I'll see if I can anchor the plate to something and use a crow bar to turn. If anybody has other methods please post up!

Thanks!

acetomatoco

that bare bear must have been funny with no fur... It is easier to remove pintle and shaft from mount before loosening bolts on rear frame cross member...take off castle nut and washers.. tie truck to big tree and off you go....

acetomatoco

And of the serious side.. use the shop press to push it off...or a hydraulic jack against a coupla big wooden blocks and the concrete wall in your garage..or your little 10 ton porta power...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had one on a 1952 M275 that was plenty stuck. Chain and tree did nothing to help it along, not even with some jerking action. Copious amounts of heat with the hot wrench proved effective. On the other end, the 1953 M108 was stuck as well. A spud bar and some jumping on the end after a feew shots of grease got that one spinning. Little note on deuce pintles. Older ones had several zerks to prevent this, the newer ones don't.

BKinzey

I've got a 6 ton jack and a about 8" steel post. I'll chain the pintle plate to the post and put the jack between the post and pintle. We'll see what gives first :lol: :lol:

Probably me :oops:

BKinzey

Jack didn't seem to help much. More heat, more PB Blaster.

Then I got the UH - DUH idea. I pulled the Zerk fitting and sprayed into the hole. Over the next couple of hours I gave it a couple of good shots and then the 2 pound sledge. It finally came round to my way of thinking and came apart.

Cleaned up pretty good after that :D

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks