• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Piston pin fit. How tight is too tight.

Johan1963

I'm rebuilding the 6-cylinder flathead out of my 1953 M37 but I have a question about the piston pins. The rod ends bushings were burnished to fit the pin. I'm having to use a hydraulic press to push the pins into the pistons. I've never had piston pins that are this tight before. I assumed they would be a thumb pressure push fit. Which is right?

Thanks

SturmTyger380

That’s not right. M37 pins are supposed to be the floating type.

I had a machine shop install new piston bushings and then size them by reaming to the right size.

After that you could push the pins in with not much force at all.

Johan1963

I cleaned them up with a green pad and tapped them in with a rubber hammer. They were originally packed in cosmoline. I had to soak them for a day in gasoline to unravel all the packing. I still had to press them out of the piston with a press. Must have been some cosmoline around the pin. I think this is the last time I use NOS pistons and rings. I'll buy new stuff next time.

Thanks for the help.

Valley Rock

Big wheeler cat peeler
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your pins should NEVER be tight in the piston, only the small end of the rod .

If you have full floating pins they will be tight nowhere and held in by clips in the pistons .

Reactions: cwc
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks