• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

PLEASE HELP....STARTERBOLT-ITIS

rickta24

how do you get the stinkin bolt out? i have drilled a small pilot, inserted a kobalt screw extractor, and tried to get it out. the extractor is squared so it doesn't work in a drill...i cant get the drill to grab it tight enough. so i tried a T-bar style wrench specifically for square bits, turned as hard as i could and i still couldn't get it. I've even sprayed the bolt with lube to loosen it up...still no love.

The extractor is grabbing hard. I just can't get enough torque to bust it loose.

how do yall do this???

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
You need a handle from a tap & die kit, but be careful not to bust that extractor off. I don't have a pic, but its basically a bar with an adjustable jaw in the middle that fits square bits/taps/extractors. Lowes or Home deposit? Napa?

CCATLETT1984

yup, I've used many a 12pt socket in the past. just be sure not to break off the extractor, or your really gonna hate yourself later on. that bolt should come out with almost no force unless it got bottomed out in the block (sounds like that happened in your case.)

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
It means they screwed it in until it hit a point where there were no more threads and it broke off, or it cross treaded and it broke off......

CCATLETT1984

by bottomed out, that starter bolt threads in to a "blind" hole. its a hole drilled into solid metal and then tapped, so if you thread a bolt too far into the hole, it will hit the bottom of the hole and bind up against it, those can be a real PITA to get out. I would try to get a smaller bolt or nut on the end of whats left and weld it on there, then break out the impact wrench and hope for the best.

troll

I have this problem about once a month in the shop and use an acetylene torch to heat the area around the bolt hole for about 2 minutes. Be sure to heat this area uniformly (don't heat it in 1 spot) and then tap the easyout into the bolt and turn it out. Make sure to order the proper bolts from the GM dealer along with the front starter brace that attaches to the block.

Troll.

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the hole you drilled is very, very close to center of the broken capscrew, drill the old , broken capscrew to the size hole needed to tap threads for the existing bolt size. The drilled hole SHOULD remove all material, except for the threads. You can then, peel the left over threads out of the hole, or, a very small turn at a time, run a tap into the hole, and the left over threads should peel out fairly easy...sounds complicated, but if your hole is centered and straight, works very good.

rickta24

by the way there is nothing left of the bolt sticking out. Its way up in the hole where the threads are. So if I could get it to a mechanic, what will their options be?

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
OOPS! You can use a die grinder with a fine point burr and try grinding the extractor out. Alot of times the vibration of the grinding will loosen the broken extractor piece.

Radioshop

Have you tried heat yet? Oftentimes I find using the Mapgas plumbing torch to turn something cherry red will really motivate it move. I would say try some heat, if you get the old extractor out, and try a different extractor.

beaubeau

This is one of those things that even a Proffessional Mechanic would be pulling hair!U must get the extractor out, then try heat, then as last resort, drill through the bolt and retap for larger bolt. good luck, Phil

ETBaals

starter bolts

Hi
I have done this many times too
I went out and got a reverse drill bit, (i think i was Snap on) so when the bit bites in to the bolt or extracor you have a chance that the bolt will back out.
Good luck
Ernie

Radioshop

RE: starter bolts

I will second the Snap-On reccomendation. Their stuff is twice as expensive, but works twice as well. You can get it off the internet and they'll ship to your house. You can also buy just the size you need. They were running a sale on some screw extrators.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks