• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Plug for clutch bell housing ?

Lumbar Jack

Hi All,
Newbie here.. just bought a 1952 M37 from a fire department. It has an open, unsealed port in the bottom of (I think) the clutch bell housing. Thread size appears to be 1"-12 but am not certain. Why does a dry clutch have this port - for inspection? This bell housing is supposed to be dry... right? I assume I just need to find the right plug and insert it. Can anyone explain this & tell me where to buy the plug? (I got a "pan drain plug" for $8.00 from Midwest Military, but the diameter is slightly too small, I guess it's for the oil pan).
Thank you!

IMG_3299.jpgIMG_3300.jpg

John Mc

That plug is only installed when you are doing fording operations. If you are not driving through deep water, it is left open. I dont have the plug for my truck, but I believe it was stored in the glove compartment - worth a look to see if there is one there on your truck.

Lumbar Jack

That plug is only installed when you are doing fording operations. If you are not driving through deep water, it is left open. I dont have the plug for my truck, but I believe it was stored in the glove compartment - worth a look to see if there is one there on your truck.
Oh.. that's very helpful, THANK you!

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There was a MWO to fab a bracket and install same in the glove box to store the plug there.

I've seen a couple of them over the years.

DG

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks