• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Polyurethane bushings

mmess

Hi everyone I'm currently completely rebuilding my m998. I'm Powdercoating all the fraim parts and will need to replace all the control arm bushings. Was looking into replacement stock bushings as well as polyurethane bushings. Anyone know if the polyurethane bushings work well on the hmmwv's or have any advise?

DREDnot

Unless you are building a rig that is going to take extra thrashing, I would advise to stick with the OE style rubber bushings. They typically last 20-25 years and they absorb a lot of road shock that poly transmits to the frame and body and eventually to you. In my younger days, I installed poly bushings in blazers, troopers, and jeeps like everyone else. First thing I would notice is more road noise and a harsher ride. Same goes with body mounts and engine mounts.

You got to use quality OE spec rubber, though...NOT the cheap, greasy, recycled rubber from the two largest population countries.

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Unless you are building a rig that is going to take extra thrashing, I would advise to stick with the OE style rubber bushings. They typically last 20-25 years and they absorb a lot of road shock that poly transmits to the frame and body and eventually to you. In my younger days, I installed poly bushings in blazers, troopers, and jeeps like everyone else. First thing I would notice is more road noise and a harsher ride. Same goes with body mounts and engine mounts.

You got to use quality OE spec rubber, though...NOT the cheap, greasy, recycled rubber from the two largest population countries.
I was thinking along same lines... These aluminum bodies and lack of sound deadening material would make the rubber style replacements optimal IMHO... I like the the poly for track and aggressive trail riding, but the trade off for some comfort is the way I will be going.. Now, to find a source for all the bushings and body mounts 🧐

rcamacho

Curious if any forum members have actually used urethane control arms on the HMMWV.
I’ve used them in other applications with no issues.
The 1151 I’m working on needs new bushings..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks