• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

pooched upper radiator hose

dirtyfingernails

After an extended drive, I notice that my upper radiator hose is a little pooched (expanded beyond its normal diameter (by about 1/2 inch). The gauge reads around 165 (never higher than that. Oil looks fine. Just seems like a lot of pressure in the system. New radiator, new hoses. Is this normal?

jwaller

could it be a weak hose? if the inner liner of the hose breaks and the pressure makes it to the outer jacket this can happen.

williamh

just like on your regular car/truck, hoses need to be replace , belts etc ... you should also check/replace the radiator cap after you replace ALL of the hoses ..... 1 bad ... all going bad .

my 2c.

will

Blood_of_Tyrants

Weak hose. Replace at your convenience as it probably isn't going to blow tomorrow, but you can never tell. Also your truck isn't running hot enough to get best efficiency. Install a higher temp thermostat or block part of the radiator with some cardboard.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If the radiator hoses feel mushy, replace them.

The thermostat probably never opens in your case, it's designed to begin to open at 180°F.
You will feel warmth from the radiator because there is always contact with the engine, lower portion is open (blue rectangle in image) , there is just no circulation except for convection (hot water will rise) until the T-stat begins to open.
I use a radiator cover at all times, Summer and Winter, the only occasions that needed more air flow was when hauling heavy loads in the mountains.

If you have a hot water personnel heater, make sure its circulation is shut off or you'll loose heat there.

As far as the pressure in the system, the radiator cap should be rated at 7 psi.

Attachments

dirtyfingernails

Should I put a lower temp thermostat in? If so, anyone have a part number? The temp, even here in Florida at 95 degree ambient temperature never got above 165. I have a new radiator in it and the hose in question is "new" from Memphis. I'm worried that the engine rad fluid NEVER circulates through the radiator. The top of the radiator gets pretty hot. Perhaps the gauge is off also.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
dirtyfingernails said:
Should I put a lower temp thermostat in? If so, anyone have a part number? The temp, even here in Florida at 95 degree ambient temperature never got above 165. I have a new radiator in it and the hose in question is "new" from Memphis. I'm worried that the engine rad fluid NEVER circulates through the radiator. The top of the radiator gets pretty hot. Perhaps the gauge is off also.
165 to 180 is normal for the multifuel engine. IMHO, there is nothing wrong with your cooling system, just put a piece of plywood in front of the radiator to up the temp a little.
Like I tried to explain above, the radiator will get warm as shown.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks