• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

POR 15 applied over CARC

jw4x4

Does anyone know if there are any issues with applying POR 15 paint over top of CARC paint? I intend on doing the inside of my M1009, then applying OD over the POR 15. I am not familiar with the carc and don't want any major surprises! I will clean and rough the surface, and know NOT to breathe any dust I may create.

emr

I for one say POR is not all its cracked up to be, alot of experience with it and rustolium , Im sure it will go right over it though, make sure it is degreesed like i mean super degreesed, por does not take to well to anything but clean metal although it works on rusty metal for sure it must be soooo clean of any greese residue.. clean metal meaning no greese residue not rust. rust is ok, its just not worth it in my eyes, I will say the rustolium prefessional gallons of rusty metal primer and top coats do well because of the oil base and last much better and stand up to UV light much better also, POR has a top coat now but once painted its tough to do anything else with it, rustolium is easier to work with also.hope U did not mind my 2.5 cents here,...randy

Jones

Read the MSDS on CARC and be governed accordingly.
I'd scrub the surfaces with a stiff-bristled brush or pressure wash it prior to any primer applications. You want to get all the grease and any loose stuff from dirt to paint flakes. The surface should be rough enough to give good 'tooth' for the primer but don't count on anything soaking into the surface. It's impenetrability is one of it's signature benefits.

jw4x4

Randy- I very much appreciate your input. There is very little rust, if any. I got the POR as a more cost effective option than Herculiner type roll-on bedliner methods. And it won't be abrasive. I plan to paint the OD over the POR before it hardens. Then again, maybe I will just use OD paint and forego the POR. Is Rustolium available in OD?

badgmc56

I have had great luck with POR. You have to read the can and do just what it says. It is not made to go over paint. It is a rust stopper. It can be applied over rust just so long all loose debris has been removed. You are right about applying topcoat before it hardens. I guess it's a matter of opinion of what product you like to use. POR is worth the money to me and goes a long way if you brush it on.

emr

RE: Re: RE: POR 15 applied over CARC

My posts are all opinon,Thanks for taking it that way, different things work for different people , we do and expect different things, that is what is so awesome about this site, all the opinions and all the things we do to these trucks, and how we do it makes great reading and helps fix alot of things we may have trouble with, POR is bullet proof ,greese is its enemy, rust is its friend, Rustolium is just easier to use in my 2 cents, clean up with POR is tough, I remember the first time i used it , i was covered well, exept for the small ring around my eyes, POR does NOT come off untill the skin falls off , :shock: ...I have a trailer out side for well my son is 15 so it must be 18 years , was rust covered,scraped heavy quickly, rustoilim professional rusty metal primer and black top coat in the gal cans, still black today, the por on my M 38 well it peeled off the differentials and a few other parts, and I powerwashed the bejesus out of it and degreesed the heck out of it , I think oil gets in the pors of metal in some areas and cant be removed, as for my experience with the trucks, I have found that Rustolium professional goes over and stays on CARC I use it in the beds of my trucks after i quickly wire wheel the loose stuff and use a roller, then top coat woth the color of choice, for me this has been the most durable bed liner I have seen, and easily re coatable also, no special stuff, :D

randyscycle

POR 15 is a good product when applied as directed....I used it on my M715 interior after taking it to the bare metal. I painted OD over it and it has held well. However, I painted the floor with it, then allowed it to dry, and applied roll-on bedliner over it. It came off in several days. The bedliner wouldn't adhere to the POR15. The POR15 is still on the floors and shows no sign of wear.

Not sure if it was a POR problem or the liner, but that is the only issue I have had. Otherwise, use POR's tie-coat primer and you can paint anything over it.

As far as painting over CARC, it is designed to be a non-absorbent coating for chemical attacks, so I'd say it may be a crapshoot to get anything to adhere to it for a long time.

marine0311

Hi i'm new to the site and wanted to know what paint to use on my Marine Corps M1009? Just bought it and i don't think it has the right green on there. Also i'd really like to know where i can get ahold of the paint here in kansas or by order. Thanks.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks