• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Possible CUCV purchase - questions...

corsairguru

I may be buying a CUCV and need to know exactly what paperwork should be accompanying the vehicle. I don't want to pay fair value only to get stuck with a truck that will be difficult to register. The seller says it's his daily driver, but his photos show no tags on the truck. Just need to make sure all of the bases are covered before I commit.

Also, does anyone have any opinions regarding driving the truck home versus having it delivered aboard a car carrier? I'm not sure which would actually be cheaper. There's also the fact that this is my first diesel, and though the truck is supposedly in great running condition, I'm not sure if I want to risk a 600+ mile trip in a vehicle that I haven't even seen in person yet.

If I do drive it home, what parts & tools would you suggest I carry along for emergencies? Thanks for any advice. 8)

BigB84

Hey man, Once I received my sf-97 form and bill of sale from Gov Liquidation, all i had to do was get a physical inspection from the local sheriff dept and then go to the dmv. At the dmv i payed my taxes and submitted all my forms, I received my registration on the spot with a licence plate and within two weeks received a Louisiana Licence Plate. After the registration and plate I had to get an inspection sticker for my windshield. Now its a daily driver. Oh yea! you will need basic 10/20/10 insurance on the vehicle before you go to the dmv.

AJMBLAZER

I believe it's the SF97 form that is required to show that it was properly released, purchased, and transfer from the government.

Vehicle transportation...ugh...heard good and bad. A year ago my brother had his car moved from Grand Rapids, MI to Raleigh, NC and the thing took an extra two days and when it was delivered the car was noticeably damaged. The driver tried to play it off and then when my brother made an issue of it he agreed to pay for the charges but was very scared of my bro calling the scheduling agency.
He recently moved from NC to St Louis, MO and yep, he drove it this time.

CUCVFAN

Gunner's Mate First Class
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's already owned and titled by a civilian, then all you need is the title. There's no EUC or other garbage on these trucks.

If the current owner has a clear title, you're home free - he might not have plates and registration, but that's a separate issue.

I got my M1009 from a seller in Texas who had a title to it, just took that down to the MVD here, they checked the VIN to see that it matched, title transferred.

I drove mine back 700+ miles and was wishing for earplugs. The M1008 would be a bit worse for noise, different gear ratio. Worked great, wasn't too bad on fuel.

beetle

If you are going to drive it any distance, take a good look at the transmission case. I drove mine 30 miles and the tranny puked out all its fluid. Upon inspection we found the case to be cracked completely round the whole tranny. I took it to Protrans here and the owner told me he sees a lot of this. He does work for the forestry service and a lot of fire companies locally. He told me that if you put a load on these trucks & take it for a punishing off road trip the tranny cases on these tend to break.Mine was ok puttering around the farm but on it's first road trip is when it let go. My two cents.Good luck. They are tough trucks. :) :) :) Beetle

CCATLETT1984

actually the K case (its a thicker bellhousing section) that most of the cucv's got is the toughest case for the th400, and I havent heard of many people cracking them without doing something stupid (like rubber engine mounts and a poly trans mount). the tcase on the other hand is known for cracking the first time you put it into 4x4 if its sat for years, since the front output will freeze to the case. (you just need to be carefull when first using 4x4 to be sure its not seized.