• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Potential 1st time CUCV buyer- Need a little guidance.

dingbat

hello,

I am considering bidding on a CUCV in Sam Houston Texas. I was dumb enough to think this would be an Ebay-esque transaction where I could plunk down my money and then drive down nd pick it up.

Well, I stumbled on this forum, I have never bought nor owned a mil-surp vehicle, and I know nothing about govplanet or this process. reading a thread on this forum about the EUC's, forced storage fees, delayed pickups, damaging of equipment by towing companies.... all now has me terrified to bid on this vehicle.

Can you speak to this process? This Sam Houston location?

Am I likely to ACTUALLY win this bid or is this one of those deals where big houses or people with experience come and scoop these things up/drive the bidding up at the last second?

I must ashamedly admit I have PM spammed a half dozen or so of the "high ranking" members I could find basically asking this same question, and attempted to post a very similar thread about an hour ago. I realized after attempting to post that thread will probably not go through because I put a link to the actual auction for the truck I want, which I then realized is a big no-no (apologies to the mods who see that and must nuke it)

I'm just really in a bit of a panic over this and really needing answers ASAP as I only have 48 hours to make a decision and formulate a plan for this bid and potential road trip to pick this truck up.

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to help a newbie out!!

Last edited by a moderator:

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome , if you "want it now" don't bid on a truck with a EUC . Wait time for a 1st time EUC to clear is probably 4-6 months right now and another couple months for the SF-97 Form ( release form from gov so you can title) . Plan on putting at least another $1000 into it to get it road worthy (or more) . The axles in these truck will drive the prices up.

dingbat

thanks for the reply!

Well, it does have an EUC, and it would be my first .... 4-6 months ?? wow.

...and the axles/driveline is exactly what I want it for. can you guesstimate the average final selling price these go for? The bid is starting at $1,300 .... do they get to $2k....$3k ... ??

tobyS

If your not experienced with buying on-line, then dealing with the time frame, condition and all of the unforeseen problems that can occur, I would suggest you put an ad in the "vehicles wanted" here on SS and be really patient. At least then you will get a realistic idea of the condition....unless your a gambler. Or there are a few guys that are not too far from you who regularly purchase from GP and may even deliver to you (try 98G). Some guys have contacts that can inspect them prior to you (or them) bidding.

I've got a lot better at 5 tons and now there are few being sold in my area. The CUCV does seem to go for a premium with few available.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
thanks for the reply!

Well, it does have an EUC, and it would be my first .... 4-6 months ?? wow.

...and the axles/driveline is exactly what I want it for
. can you guesstimate the average final selling price these go for? The bid is starting at $1,300 .... do they get to $2k....$3k ... ??
Read post #2 of this thread;
[h=1]Chevy axel question[/h]And a thread from 5 years ago when there was still a lot of CUCV's getting released , not many left now .
[h=1]$3500 M1008s??[/h]

tobyS

there is another one much closer to me...in much worse shape, for the same price.... that I do not see a EUC on ...

????
That's not a price...it's the beginning bid minimum. Yes, they often go double, triple or more.

Play it safe, bid a low amount and see if you can get the high bid and hold it going into the auction. Then be ready to go up when it comes up. Don't fall in love...can be a costly mistake. I won many at GL but not one on GP (yet).