• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Pouring a babbitt bearing

frenchriverland

Hi Everyone:

My son, Will and I received a $6000 proposal to rebuild our turbine main shaft bearing. We decided to do the job ourselves. This is how we did it:

http://frenchriverland.com/index.html

I hope you and your families are healthy and prospering!!

Sincerely,

Bill Fay

PS: Thank you for remembering my birthday!! You are the only site that remembered!!

mikew

There's a guy not too far from me that restores "Brass Era" cars (cars made prior to WW-I) which all have babbitt bearing engines.

Few people even know what a babbitt bearing is and very, very few know how to pour and surface them.

Great job!

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
HA! I didn't realize you were here too. I have been following your threads on some of the other tool boards I go to. Nice job.

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My dad and his brother worked as teenagers in a connecting rod shop in Riverside Ca. during the 40's. My dad mentioned that most of his work there was pouring new bearings.

I personally have not worked on anything pre WW2, and have not encountered any pour in place bearings. Thank you for posting the link. I appreciate the demonstration of the process.

Rick

Bill W

WOW
After looking at all that ( magnificent ) work that was done I now feel so small and inadequate :-?

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have worked in a lot of machine shops in the area and some of the machines still in use are from before WWII. That is pretty cool to see pics of the rebuild of bearing.

Nice work.

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for posting!

Pouring Babbit bearings, that brings back memories! I (we) had to pour bearings for 2" to 6" shafting for winches. Nice sweaty, dirty, and potentially dangerous! I was fortunate enough to have older friends and relatives that had older equipment and knew how to fix them and did not mind passing on the information they had.

I have been following your rebuild thread for the past year. It is nice to see someone who can do the jobs that you all complete as there are not too many that can work on the equipment you have. [thumbzup][thumbzup][thumbzup]

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks