• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Powder coating now available in fed. Std colors

BIGNICK

HEY Guys!!! I now have powder coating available in Military approved colors. So far two colors have been approved. They are Olive Drab FS-595-34079 gloss level 2%
and Desert Tan FS-595-30318 gloss level 2%

I am doing my truck in the Desert Tan. I will be posting pics as I go along!!

dk8019

Wow, you're going to powder coat all the body panels? We have a huge powder coating system here where I work, I understand it to be one of the largest on the continent, but alas they won't let me run car parts through it...:cry:

BIGNICK

can you guys do a part 45' long by 16' high by 16' wide? and 65 tons? what do you guys coat out there? we coat almost any and everything here.

papakb

Nick,

I'm getting ready to powder coat some radios and would like to get a reference to who has the correct colors and gloss. Do you have the ability to send me a small sample (enough to coat a penny) so that I can see how they look when they turn out? I'm looking for a good 24087 OD and a 383 CARC green.

Thanks,

Kurt Lesser
2714 Peartree Lane
San Jose, Ca 9512
(408) 440-6067 cell

AaronW

Kurt, BIGNICK has not logged on since Apr of 2010. You might try to send him a message via email. You can find the link in his contact info. Good luck!

Nonotagain

Jinx, you owe me a Coke.

Do you want a cookie to go along with it?

Power coating small parts is fine, anything that has square corners usually yields thin coating due to Faraday Cage effect. Powder coatings can't be repaired without stripping the old coating and re-coating the entire part.

Find a industrial paint dealer and get some Mil-Dtl-64159 Type II CARC and spray your radio parts. The paint sprays great and allows for tight thickness tolerances.

hotbox

Powder is far more superior than paint. Faraday can be negated by preheating and then shooting the trouble areas. Powder does not need to be completely stripped it there is a problem. I can feather sand bad areas and recoat. PPG is now producing Military Spec powders in all the popular colors. The down side is I will need to purchase 100lbs. per order at a premium price. I plan to powder coat my entire deuce. I have coated many antique radio boxes. (all metal) I found SS black wrinkle was the best match for this application. Make sure you find a good custom powder shop that will take the time to do it correct. Hot Box Powder Coating Hotbox

CTGoebel

Bignick,
I am restoring an M38A1 to original USMC and I live in Southern California. Can you direct me to someone who has and is doing Forest Green color in powder coating near me? Or, someone who has the powder who will ship it to me? Thanks... Chuck

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Bignick,
I am restoring an M38A1 to original USMC and I live in Southern California. Can you direct me to someone who has and is doing Forest Green color in powder coating near me? Or, someone who has the powder who will ship it to me? Thanks... Chuck
Did you even bother reading this thread? BigNick hasn't been on since 2010.

quickfarms

Try PSC in chino. I used to have them do a bunch of custom stuff for me before they moved to chino. You probably need to go there and talk to them, I never had great luck with the phone. Bring a color sample so he knows what you are talking about.