• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

powdercoat primer with gillespie paint?

dma251

I was dropping a bunch of HEMTT parts off at the powdercoater to be coated in black powder, and I happened to ask the owner if they had any powder that acted as a good base primer for painting over with Gillespie OD and he said he did.

He also said it was a good rust preventative. I don't know if that's due to an anti-rust additive, or just because it covers the metal ;)

Anyway - I was thinking about using this on some of the more rust-prone areas of the truck like the spare tire carrier, and the air-can.

Any opinions about this stuff? Is it good, bad, ugly?

rdixiemiller

Any powder that is applied to properly pretreated metal will have good rust resistance. If they are using a TGIC powder, it will also work as a primer for compatible topcoats. The main thing will be how he is pretreating. If he has a pretreat line that washes, rinses, and iron or zinc phosphates, you will have good rust resistance. If he is sandblasting and powdering, you will still have good rust resistance, but it will not be as good as the phosphated stuff.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks