• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power Plant- Dual MEP802A on trailer

Powerlinefixer

Hey all-

I recently bought an AN/MJQ-35 power plant. It's two MEP802A generators on an M116A3 trailer. It has a synchronizer box that can parallel the generators. It's going to be standby power for my home and an alternate disaster center power source (120/208 3Ø) if their primary fails.

One of the gensets fired right up. I think the other had air in the fuel system/bad fuel. I added fuel, bled the fuel system, and it fired right up. They make power, don't smoke, run smooth (for a two cylinder) and the synchronizer works.

I was navigating this site and was unable to find a FAQ thread about these gensets. It could be plainly in sight. If it is, I'm blind.

Here's my question- Will someone point me in the right direction to find out what I need to watch for on these things?

I know about the fuse that protects the stator and wet stacking. I'm going to run them under full load for several hours once I set up a load bank to make sure they're broke in. Any other hints?

These are refurbished units (2012). The hour meters are low but who knows how many hours they actually have.

Thanks so much. Your help is appreciated.

20240220_125609.jpg20240224_161504_exported_10580.jpgScreenshot_20240226_205540_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240208_200746_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20240226_211208_Chrome.jpg

WWRD99

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a nice set! Can't beat that they both run! If you're looking for a basic maintenance stuff there's a sticky in the genset section that has all the TM information and parts for oil and air filters numbers...plus everything parts wise. Are you looking for common problems? I think most problems come from them sitting all the time with mice, bugs and rust find homes in connections and parts that make them run. Most put some kind of mesh over the air intakes of the box and keep the center section, that you have to remove the top of the genset cover to get to, clear of mice homes etc. There's an electrical spray contacts cleaner that gets used a bunch that helps the electrical system clean too. I have a basic Noco 24 volt battery tender on mine. You could do a solar one as well. Keeping the diesel clean can be another struggle. There's a bunch of threads about that too. Hope this helps!

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
No, you can not parallel them. Look at the box, read the TM's. It says right on the Synchronizing box, what it is. There is a difference between Paralleling and synchronizing. All the TM's needed are listed on the data plate, and are in the TM forum. If the TM for the AN/MJQ-35 power plant is not in the Forum, say something and I will post it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks