• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering fluid

Adrok

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe they use ATF Dexron VI ( type 4 ). In applications using Dexron III ( type 3 ), the type 4 is backwards compatible. Meaning if you have several vehicles using Type 3 AND Type 4, you can buy Type 4 and use in ALL the vehicles.
The Dexron VI is about $10 more for 5 quarts. Not a bad price for convenience for me.

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
DEX III is recommended.
The military did switch to DEX VI (DEX 6, there is no 4 or 5) for their fleets, but in the civilian world the DEX VI is only approved for automatic transmissions, and all other applications still use DEX III that's been repackaged and a different part number on it.
Even if they put DEX VI in it, you can top it off with the DEX III as the 6 is compatible with the 3.

Here is a link to the GM tech bulletin about it

short version, there is a higher rate of failure in non-automatic transmission applications when using DEX VI instead of DEX III. Enough higher that GM put out a bulletin, but not enough higher for the military to stock multiple fluids when one will work good enough (a lot of things are more about supply chain logistic rather than actually using the best product for the job)

Most fluids labeled DEX/MERC will meet DEX III, but not meet DEX VI. Just read the label to be certain.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks