• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering level cold vs hot

Anyone notice this in their truck?
when the engine is cold in the morning, the power steering level sits nicely at the "cold" fill line. however, when the engine is at normal operating temp, the level is then below the "hot" fill line.

Although the engine is at operating temp, the PS fluid isn't fully warmed.

Turn the steering wheel lock to lock a few times, or use a winch powered by the PS pump....
i checked the level after having driven about 12milles. on an 80degree day. does it need to be warmer than that?
my engine warmed up within the first few since it was idling in the driveway for a few minutes.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Engine warm, warm day, NOT the same as PS fluid hot.

Driving 12 miles on an 80 degree day isn't enough to get PS fluid "hot".

There's enough fluid in there to soak up quite a bit of heat during severe use. Severe use = constant turning of the wheel for an extended period, or powering a hydraulic winch.

As long as you're full to the cold mark when cold, you're fine. The fact that you don't reach the hot mark when hot just tells you that your usage is benign in comparison to what the engineers anticipated will heat the PS fluid.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks