• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering questions

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Question #1: Would you be inclined to drive your deuce more often if it had power steering?
Question #2: Does any part of the the Air-O-Matic (?) power steering system extend below the front axle (=reduce ground clearance)?

Thanks,

M1075

Bjorn-

We have the air-o-matic setup on two dueces used for fire fighting. Works great. Highly recommend. No problems with clearance.

Elohim1

cranetruck said:
Question #1: Would you be inclined to drive your deuce more often if it had power steering?
Question #2: Does any part of the the Air-O-Matic (?) power steering system extend below the front axle (=reduce ground clearance)?

Thanks,
Where can you get this air-o-matic unit and what is the price?

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I tend to agree with you Brent, but when you need to run down to the store for milk or something, I usually take in the S-10 Blazer instead of the deuce. Besides the obvious size difference, I'm wondering about ease of operation as a factor and that's the reason for the questions. Cost of operation is no longer a factor with biodiesel. I guess it's all academic, anyway.

Desert Rat

Bjorn,
Good points. The only reason why I don't take my baby to the grocery store is just because of parking. Plus I can walk to the store. So considering I need my exercise, I leave all my vehicles at home. However, if I'm going to Lowe's or Home Depot, I take her with me. She'll be my daily driver going to school and all as well. KIds love looking at her and asking questions and all.

ken

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When i installed the lockout hubs my steering restance was cut in half!!! I can drive it with one arm. DRAT can testify, It's much easier to turn!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Y'know, I almost never drive my trucks but I do take the tractor when I shop for groceries. Its easier to park than my crewcab pickup. If I were to do much off roading, I would have to have PS.

rdixiemiller

I am driving mine to work and back 3 days a week. I don't need power steering, and I still haven't gotten around to putting my desplined flanges on! I did pop one rear axle for 2 days, but put it back in when I started spinning tires on wet asphalt.

WCJIV

Air-O-Matic Installation Pics needed

I got the air-o- matic kit for my Deuce. Does any one have any pictures they can take of the finished installation that I could use? Any other install tips would be appreciated. Thanks

houdel

Here is the link to Air-O-Matic. I don't have it, most of my driving is rural on-road so it is not much of an issue for me. Given the choice, I'd go with locking hubs BEFORE power steering, improve fuel economy and reduce steering effort at half the cost of Air-O-Matic. Also consider flipping your rear hubs and running singles on the rear to reduce steering effort, improve tire wear and traction and reduce turning radius.

http://www.m35products.com/Air-O-Matic.htm

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
houdel said:
Here is the link to Air-O-Matic. I don't have it, most of my driving is rural on-road so it is not much of an issue for me. Given the choice, I'd go with locking hubs BEFORE power steering, improve fuel economy and reduce steering effort at half the cost of Air-O-Matic. Also consider flipping your rear hubs and running singles on the rear to reduce steering effort, improve tire wear and traction and reduce turning radius.

http://www.m35products.com/Air-O-Matic.htm
What H said. I did the super single thing. And I SWEAR my deuce seems like it's effort to steer is greatly reduced. Michelin XDY-1/XDY-2 radials made a HUGE difference. Not only to steering, but overall rolling resistance is down. She just seems to ride smoother. And I'm running 90 psi. I might drop it down to 85 psi to make the ride smoother still.

Hadn't heard about the 'benefit' from front selection/lockout hubs. That is one thing I am going to look into. Even easier steering and improved mpg? That's what I'm all about. Particularly the latter.

I gotta start the biodiesel thing here soon.

WCJIV

Hubs are probably next after I install new headgasket and Air-O-Matic. I have it in the box and the links above show what is in the box. Has anyone actually installed one? and if so do you have any pics? Thanks