• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Power steering

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So I gave my wrecker some attention yesterday, namely the power steering. I filled the reservoir, then jacked up the front, and turned the wheels from lock to lock. I didn't notice any change in steering-wheel feedback after 15-20 reversals. I shut her down and got out to look. The reservoir had puked fluid out the breather. The level in the reservoir was still above the fill screen. I had hoped it was the air getting out of the system, but it wasn't. When I set her down, and tried to steer, nothing had changed. I asked a buddy who runs a mechanic shop and he said it sounds like the pump wasn't pumping. Is there a way to check the pump? How about a rebuild kit? Is there any components that have a history of failing? Any help would be great.

acetomatoco

So, which unit do you have.. the original power assisted steering or the newer.. real power steering with the piston on the right side of the truck... etc...etc.. etc.. Hopefully you are using engine oil and not some crummy ATF....look at your lube order...

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
If you have the ram assist version, check the lines that go from the fram to the ram for any signs of kinks or crimps. The 939 trucks have a stone-guard to protect the lines for that reason. Is the pump making any noise?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks