• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

power steering

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
So as you all know, I got a pump for my power steering on Sunday. I got to look at it today and decided I had to take the radiator out to get to the pump. It wasn't as bad as I thought, cept for the ground strap. I didn't see it, or know about it, so when I thought I was ready to pick this massive beast out of the compartment, I almost jerked an arm out of its socket. I would like to thank whoever decided to put that strap in that spot. Anyhoo, is this an unbolt the old one and then bolt up the new one, or is there an index or timing mark? I am still trying to figure out how to search the manuals. I don't have a military back ground, so some of the terms ya'll use (like check the -35 tm) is over my head. Anyway after I swap out the pumps, does anyone have a rebuild kit? TIA!

acetomatoco

rules of engagement... Get books, read and understand, work on truck... List of manuals is on the data plates on your truck dash...Portrayal Press has hard copies..

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If we assume your engine is a Multifuel there are no secrets, no timing marks on the pump gear, no way to make mistakes. The pump with its base only fits in one position.
I use loctite sealant instead of a gasket.
G.

devilman96

You will have to cut and mod your raidator to get it to fit... fun fun fun... Mind your flow rates on that pump so they match the gear, if not you will be spending a PILE of cash and waiting, searching, and kicking yourself trying to change out the pump veins!! I know.. I had to do mine twice!

Talk to Tom Bowers about steering gears, he's done 3 or 4 of these now and have them to a science.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike, it's a 5 ton so he has the clearance for the pump already. Just R&R and get that thing going.

gimpyrobb

So, in trying to inform anyone who does a search, this was a heck of a job. The fluid was BLACK. Still flowed ok, just jet black. After emptying the system, we(dad and I) still got lots of fluid out of every hose we dis connected. The BOLT in the 7 o'clock postion was alomst inaccessable. Until we got the nut off, we thought it was a stripped stud. Anyone who does this will see what I mean. The bolt can be gotten to by running your 9/16 socket with a long extension along the top of the motor mount. You have to feel it to get on it, you will NEVER see it. Plan on looking like a miner when your done. I was not sure the pump was the problem till I got the old one out. Now I'm hoping that, thats all thats busted. I am off to look for that new resavor on ebay!

gimpyrobb

Well, I filled up the system, hooked up some batteries, jacked up the front axle and fired her up. First off, I looked around at all the fittings and found no dripping. Next I gave my dad the go ahead to start the lock to lock steering. Still no problems. Finally I told him to wait and took the truck off the jacks. Dad was able to turn the wheel with two fingers! Power steering fixed.
Now as I get ready to assemble, I wonder if I should run some CLR through the radiator. There was some junk in the hose nipples, but not much. Would it be better to put the system back together and flush the whole thing? Any way to tell if the hoses to and from the radiator need replacing? They don't appear to have any bad spots. I have not had trouble with the cooling system so I am not sure it needs it. What say you?

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you have it that far appart already, might as well do the job. Because if you dont, in the next month or 2, the hose will blow.... Because thats just how it is....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks